Sunroof or not?

Jhepb1

Well-Known Forum User
My 240z has a glass sunroof, apparently fitted in the 1980s.

I'm wondering what to do - fit a Webasto fabric one in its place or install another roof panel.

I already have a complete roof I bought a while back, so this wouldn't be a problem. I'm worried about getting a good paint match, though.

Has anyone had any trouble with their Webasto? Leaks? Warped roof profile?

I know this is mainly down to personal preference but I'd welcome any thoughts.

Thanks

Jim

Sunroof of some kind is always a useful way of keeping the cabin cool rather than having to run the fan at full tilt and / or have the windows down...and then you cant hear the radio for all the racket so you turn the volume up.....eventually you may be mistaken for a 'chav'. ;)

I only have experience of a webasto on an old jag, it was great to open up the entire roof but eventually after a few years the fabric started to split at the edges where it is frequently creased when open...and they are not cheap to repair / replace.

Ash

As you have got a spare roof then I would have it fitted. It will add value to the car which, in your mind, you can use to offset the very high price of having the roof skin swapped.

Sunroof or not

NOT

When I got my car it had a Webasto, tried everything to get it to the stage where I was happy, gave up (2005) skinned the roof with CF, happy for a while (2013) bit the bullet and fitted the new (old) skin....wish I had done it in 2005, so no don't wait just do it and enjoy it

IMO keep the spare roof and wait until you need to do something. Chill.

id say the same,if the sunroof you have is ok wait till you need to do something,if it was a choice of sunroof or no sunroof though my choice would be no sunroof on any 240/260/280:)

Sebastopol looks ok as its period but the glass weakens the structure of the zed,skinned mine as soon as I got it back in the eighties,the previous owner had just put the sunroof in about 6 weeks prior to sale,wot a wally

I'm not so sure it actually weakens the structure. I use my car pretty hard and there are no signs of shell damage that could be atributed to a weakened structure. I think the main reason to change it is for looks.

Back