Suggestions on Iridium Spark Plugs?

shadowman

Well-Known Forum User
Hello all.

Does anyone recommend Iridium spark plugs?

I want to purchase some for my 300ZX TT (Import). It's always had platinum plugs in the past but I want to try these new ones. I keep hearing how efficient they are and how turbo charged cars can benefit more from using them because of reduced voltage required to spark. My car isn't tuned. Will these plugs go in ok factory set or need to be gaped? :unsure:

Anyone have any comments and suggestions? :thumbs:

Thanks

racer

Club Member
Does anyone actually have any facts or are they just slagging them off because they don't know?

JakTheRuby

Club Member
Facts????
Dont be silly Racer this is the Zclub.:rolleyes:

Gonna offer anything then Pete or just sit around looking to poke holes? If we head over to pmac.com will you have all of the ultimate truths that you keep secret from us and only divulge to close friends? No?

Last edited by a moderator:

JakTheRuby

Club Member
Does anyone actually have any facts or are they just slagging them off because they don't know?

FACT 1: Iridium is the second most dense element in the periodic table (it's a transitional metal based on the 'platinums').

FACT 2: It's also the most corrosion-resistant metal, even at temperatures as high as 2000°C.

This makes its application as an electrode in a spark plug as ideal. The only downside (and it's a BIG what if, because it's very, very unlikely but possible nonetheless) is that impact damage (possibly from using plugs a little too long that interfere with the combustion chamber) can cause a breakdown into iridium dust which is very flammable / unstable. I don't have any experience of use of iridium plugs so I can't comment from experience but the FACTS seem to suggest it's a solid application.

Firestone at one point were selling plugs with Polonium (very expensive alpha radiation emitting metal) electrodes. The theory was that the radiation would ionise the air in the gap making it better conditions for sparking. Ludicrously over-egging the pudding if you ask me.

racer

Club Member
:DMarvelous! Facts at last well done that Man. It wasn't too painfull was it people?
I'll RACE you to the shops to buy a set! :D

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I use NGK Iridium Plugs in my 240. No comment though really - they just work, like the non-iridium NGK plugs I had before. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.F

Inactive
The new hot product in the plug market are Pulstar Pulse plugs (not a spark plug according to their blurb). They may just be snake oil, but the claims for improved spark intensity and power gains are impressive.
They have a built-in capacitor which, it is claimed, gives ten times more energy than a conventional platinum or iridium plug. They are equivalent to a 7-series NGK, so good for higher states of tune and moderate increases in turbo boost.
Interestingly, Modified Magazine used a stock Nissan 350Z in their "independent" testing and an extra 10.4 rwhp and 7.2 ft-lbs torque increase was achieved. U.K. testing by XSpec Motorsport on a Mitsubishi Evo IV generated almost 13rwhp and 15.5 ft-lbs torque on back to back dyno pulls, the comparison plug being NGK Iridium.

They are not cheap, but backed by a 30 day money back guarantee if not happy with the results in your car. Available through MJP if you would like to be a pioneer...

JakTheRuby

Club Member
...Modified Magazine used a stock Nissan 350Z in their "independent" testing and an extra 10.4 rwhp and 7.2 ft-lbs torque increase was achieved.

That's some quite shocking figures actually! Just from the spark...

Available through MJP if you would like to be a pioneer...

Have you not tried them yet then Mike or are they a bit too "significant" in price difference?

Mr.F

Inactive
Have you not tried them yet then Mike or are they a bit too "significant" in price difference?

Only offered to me in the last few days - give us a chance! Ideally what I need is someone going for dyno testing in the near future who would be prepared to do a plug change between runs and provide feedback.

Retail on the Pulstar plugs is around £25 each :eek:, but I'm sure a deal could be achieved for someone willing to give them a try in a Z.