strange speedometer

highway star

Well-Known Forum User
something weird is happening to my 260z. whenever i press the brake pedal the speedo drops to zero, then returns to the correct reading as soon as i take my foot off !. also the rev counter seems to have a mind of it's own, sometimes it'll work and sometimes it won't. i have a 280zx dizzy fitted, don't know if that's relevant. can anyone help. :confused:

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
It sounds like there is a short circuit somewhere (probably in the loom that connects to the back of the speedo) that grounds the speedo when the brake switch is pushed.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
speedo is mechanical isn't it? pretty sure... is it the tacho or the speedo thats going to zero?

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
if i remember i thought if the rev counter is disconected the car will not run and is electric

highway star

Well-Known Forum User
it's the speedo that's going to zero, it's a '74 260z soz not sure if it's mechanical or electric. wasn't sure which section to post the thread in.

zbloke

Club Member
Is some part of the brake pedal pushing, pulling or trapping the speedo cable when its pressed?

highway star

Well-Known Forum User
thanks zbloke i've just checked and sure enough the pedal is pushing the cable away !. if only my brain worked in a logical way !, thanks to everyone else as well.