Starter trouble

Craig_260

Well-Known Forum User
Hey guys so i bought a new, well reconditioned starter from a member on here i cant remember the name unfortunately but anyway. I fitted it no trouble but when i start the car it doesn't start it just "Whirrs" at me. does this mean the starter motor is done for or is there something else? if it is where do you guys recommend getting a new one from i don't want re-con again.

cheers
Craig

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure the motor is installed correctly and aligned with the bellhousing? Is it sitting in the recess fully?

If the starter motor is 'Whirring' (I assume you mean turning but not engaging) then the starter works ok. However it shouldn't turn until the gear is engaged with the flywheel (i.e. pre-engaged) so the starter thinks it's engaged when it isn't, or your flywheel ring gear is badly worn or chipped.

Martin Jones at Superstart will supply new or recon at a very good price and service.
speak to martin or gordon and tell them I put you on to them.
Dont worry about distance as he will post to you no probs

thanks for your replies guys ive rang Martin and hes going to check his stock in the morning for me so we shall see. I may have a quick fix and a nice new starter :D.

Doesn't sound like there is a lot wrong with your starter, just the dog not throwing in. Might sound a bit crude but giving it a whack with a hammer while someone else holds the ignition key in the start position is worth a try

It is likely to be the solonoid sticking and not throwing the gear forward. Unplug the small wire that is on the starter and replace it with a length of wire that will reach the battery.
Touch the wire onto the positive terminal and you should hear a heavy thump or click as the solonoid throws forward.
If this is not heard then that confirms the solonoid is defective.
A solid thump may free it up but then you still have a potential problem waiting to catch you out when you are least able to deal with it.
Give me a call if you want further explaination
cheers ben

But the starter is "whirring" which means the solenoid is at least partially working, no solenoid no "whirr" (highly technical term there:rofl:) The solenoid is there to handle the several hundred amps that a starter draws, and closes a pair of pad contacts very very quickly, a normal mechanical switch would burn out after a few activations as it cannot act quickly enough and would draw an arc, and burn the contacts out, even solenoids give up after a while and this ones probably 30 years old if the solenoids internal contact pads are burnt then it cannot pass the required current and thus the starter does not have the required torque to engage the ring and drive it

Also Its not unusual to have a motors windings go faulty and thus it only "whirrs" a little bit, not enough to engage the ring and drive it, I have also seen the rotor end bush collapse and prevent the rotor from turning freely

Stop faffing around with worn out bits and bobs
Buy a reconditioned one, theres plenty about.....they also whirr better;)
A new gear reduction starter can be had for less than £150 quid if you know where to look

Back