Smoking (1st July 2007)

viniboy

Well-Known Forum User
I have for about 20 years now been trying to give it up (on and off). Well I have managed a 3 month stint but it got me and I started again. That was 3 years ago. I am seriously thinking about having another go and what better time to go for it than the 1st of July?

"Is there anyone else" who would like to join me and give it up? :thumbs:

Burnsie doesn't smoke - he 'fumes' !

Just do it Viniboy - we'll be thinking of ya ! Just don't tell DJ - he'll start to feel lonely !

Argh first of July is coming, that means pubs will now stink of b.o. and not fags... brilliant :(

Started first of April in Wales,

Is much better if you're a non smoker! Good luck to all who try. I work in a hospital which is a treatment centre for Cancer.Anyone needing a little help with encouragement can come and spend the day with me. Normally stops most people!

Wes

Yeah seeing someone close to you die of smoking related cancer usually does the trick. I've seen 3 so far...2 smokers and 1 passive

My old man just came out of hospital for a heart op, smoking/eating fat sod food was the cause... catches up with everyone eventually :)

Hi vini, IMO giving up at a time when everyone is moaning about not being able to smoke in the pub is not a great idea, but depends on your state of mind. I'm a heavy smoker myself and for you, trying to quit them now is almost like being TOLD to do it. Remember the smoking ban has been here over 3 years now. I remember the absolute HATRED I had for the Irish health minister at the time for taking away my right to be able to smoke in my workplace and the pub etc., but now i'm coming around to the idea as a good thing for everyone.I still smoke and would love to give them up which i'm sure i will before I'm 40:devil:

Interesting that the ex chancellor becomes prime minister on the 27th June and the smoking ban comes in on the 1st July. Beware of stealth taxes to come to recover the lost revenue. Watch this space!
BTW, I have smoked a pipe for 40+ years but never found the need to inflict my smoke on others in a public place. Great for poring over bonnets or five bar gates seaching for divine intervention!:rolleyes:

Agree with the stealth tax Nigel, I have wondered how they will fund the NHS without cigarette tax. I have smoked for many years, I would prefer not to but nobody is going to force me.

They're not saving you from yourself. Its all the other people around you who do not smoke, why should they breathe in your crap?

Bar workers die from breathing in second hand smoke.

My great uncle died from second hand smoke, he was a trumpet player in the 60's/70's round the club circuit. Never smoked a day in his life.

mick daniels said:
Hi vini, IMO giving up at a time when everyone is moaning about not being able to smoke in the pub is not a great idea, but depends on your state of mind. I'm a heavy smoker myself and for you, trying to quit them now is almost like being TOLD to do it. Remember the smoking ban has been here over 3 years now. I remember the absolute HATRED I had for the Irish health minister at the time for taking away my right to be able to smoke in my workplace and the pub etc., but now i'm coming around to the idea as a good thing for everyone.I still smoke and would love to give them up which i'm sure i will before I'm 40:devil:

Hello Mick. How you doing mate?
I know what you are saying but I have been thinking about knock the habbit for so long that this just seems to be the best time. If I manage then I wont need to become furious about not being able to smoke in my van or anywhere people gather. It is a stupid idea and how it ever got through beats me? But if you cant beat them.......?

Are you coming over for the 30th party? Would be nice to see you again buddy.

vini

Markp.com said:
They're not saving you from yourself. Its all the other people around you who do not smoke, why should they breathe in your crap?

I know.

I'm of the opinion if it's a pub that smokes, then if you don't like it find a different pub. You can't smoke at the bar anyway, but if you're concerned about smoke work somewhere else.

All that needs to be done is for pubs to put in a proper, well maintained/serviced extraction systems, that would keep everyone happy, smokers and non smokers alike

suzy said:
All that needs to be done is for pubs to put in a proper, well maintained/serviced extraction systems, that would keep everyone happy, smokers and non smokers alike

Na would be better if the non smakers sodded off elsewhere or stayed at home.:devil:

As billing is an open air event I would expect it not to be smoke free. AFAIK the ban only applies to enclosed spaces, and areas within a specific distance of public building entrances.

I, however, will be smoking at Billing, and if I have to do it in my own car, with the windows shut, (it is my own space afterall so bugger them :) ) then so be it.

Back