s14 gearbox swap "mount"

jay28

Well-Known Forum User
Hi all,

Just a quick question to those of you who have done the s14 box swap, Do the origonal gearbox mounts need altering? if so is there much involved, I was gonna start this tomorrow but not going to start it until I know exactly whats involved with the mount.
Cheers

Yes. From memory the centre bolt of the gearbox rubber mount is 25mm further back (due to the longer box) so the S30 gearbox crossmember has to be modified to take this. Not a massive problem if you are handy with a welder.

Rob is spot on
Take the existing cross member, cut it in three, move centre section back the required amount (the 1st one I did I mounted the box up and jacked the box up to the correct alignment then tacked the cross member together, took it away and then on the bench welded it with some reinforcing fillets, 1hr at the most easy peasy.

We now have a jig to do it (part of an original transmission tunnel with the waist band and mount incorporated), makes it much easier to get it spot on.

Or you could move the entire engine forward:p

Cheers for the info lads............Have a few hours free tomorrow so I'll make a start on it and see how it goes.

This is mine, not pretty but it does the job just fine. Remember to leave a space for access to the nut. If you do it Skidds way and cut the crossmember into 3 parts then the access whole will stay in the right place. I wanted to leave the crossmember intact as much as poss.

Attachments

• Gearboxes 003.jpg
    Gearboxes 003.jpg
    662.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Gearboxes 004.jpg
    Gearboxes 004.jpg
    664.1 KB · Views: 69
has anybody tried a 280zx gearbox mount as i am sure they are offset.

Cheers for the pics.........Well I didn't get much done today, I had a spare gearbox mount so I got that and offered it up to the gearbox.

The s14 box I have has 2 mounting holes in it instead of the 1 centre mounting point on the standard box. It also seems as if the mount isnt wide enough for the s14 box, it seems to rock or pivot on the s14 box.

here's a few pics
DSCF0114.jpg

DSCF0113.jpg

DSCF0115.jpg

Jay your looking at the wrong mounting point it has to have the original "Z" rubber mount bolted on....plus you need to swap the speed sensor out with the original spindle drive

Jay your looking at the wrong mounting point it has to have the original "Z" rubber mount bolted on....plus you need to swap the speed sensor out with the original spindle drive

I haven't removed the old box yet so I'll have to take a better look under the car during the week........So there's a mount that bolts to the s14 box, then the mount I have in the pic bolts up to that?

Yeah ill swap over the speed sensor when I have the old box out.......

Ahh it just had glaring similarities to mine thats all :D

I think Steve was saying that you take the 'Z' mount and move the middle section back by however much you need, then bolt the 'Z' rubber bit on to join up with the S14 gearbox. From memory the rubber bit has one bolt for the mount and has the two required bolts for the gearbox. Just remember which way round the rubber bit goes. I think the slanted face goes to the front of the car.

ah ok cheers for that. ill have a better idea when i get under the car and take the old box out. probably be next weekend sometime before i get around to it now.

Back