Rhd conversion insurance

Sam_C

Club Member
Given the possibility of more imported cars coming on the market which may be converted to RHD, I was wondering what you would need to do to get insurance for such a car? Do you need an engineer's report or similar? And which of the insurance companies would be most likely to take it on?

Sam_C

Club Member
Shouldn't be that hard should it, Sean? There are plenty of older classics (E-Types, Healeys, MGs etc) that get repatriated from Uncle Sam and converted to the "proper" side. Or do people just stick their tongue in their cheek and call them RHD on the on-line quote form?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Shouldn't be that hard should it, Sean? There are plenty of older classics (E-Types, Healeys, MGs etc) that get repatriated from Uncle Sam and converted to the "proper" side. Or do people just stick their tongue in their cheek and call them RHD on the on-line quote form?��

Yes Franky - we are the 'converted' - no need to preach to us....:D

Didn't say it was hard;) but I'm sure a lot of people leave the sleeping dogs lie, after all 'RHD' is RHD - no ?

Sam_C

Club Member
Until you have a crash and then......
Friend of mine was refused a payout on his totalled superbike as he hadn't informed them of a change of exhaust tailpipe!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
There are perhaps a club-full of eternal optimists and 'it'll always happen to someone else......' !

It's not just the end values that will be affected by non declarations....imagine if the car is sold then resold down the line and then there is a mortel accident....do you (and I mean all the readers here) believe that the authorities will stop at the current owner and not trace who did the undeclared conversion ?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Well my insurance know about my Blue car being a LHD to RHD conversion (professional) and I haven't had any special conditions imposed.

The chassis number is an LHD one too.

If you are suggesting that it needs an engineer's report then that opens up a whole raft of situations when that might be appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:

datsfun

Club Member
But when you make a declaration of information for insurance purposes, one is supposed to state to the best of one's knowledge...so by knowingly holding back about a previous RHD conversion, I can see the legals having a field day...

Obviously if you are driving about totally un-aware that it's a LHD-RHD converted car, it's a different ball game.

I would have thought that most owners are aware, although many are in denial or wish to mask the previous LHD status for future resale purposes...

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
But when you make a declaration of information for insurance purposes, one is supposed to state to the best of one's knowledge...so by knowingly holding back about a previous RHD conversion, I can see the legals having a field day...

Obviously if you are driving about totally un-aware that it's a LHD-RHD converted car, it's a different ball game.

I would have thought that most owners are aware, although many are in denial or wish to mask the previous LHD status for future resale purposes...

1) holding back about modifications also.

2) Hence why (if you can prove your ignorance) the Police will trace back and contact each previous owner in the event of a serious incident.

3) Agreed.

Sam_C

Club Member
Well my insurance know about my Blue car being a LHD to RHD conversion (professional) and I haven't had any special conditions imposed.

The chassis number is an LHD one too.

If you are suggesting that it needs an engineer's report then that opens up a whole raft of situations when that might be appropriate.

Many years ago I modified a Sierra 1.6 3 door shell to accept all the running gear from a 2.9i Sierra 4x4. ( now that was a fabulous street sleeper....). I did get a report for the insurance company for that one, albeit from my mate who owned a garage and just signed it "John C.... Motor Engineer"

Now granted that was a bit more than a RHD conversion, but in principle they were both "modifications".

So how did you approach your insurance company Rob? And if I may ask, which company is it? PM me if you prefer, I do have more than a passing interest in this subject at the moment..;-)

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Sam, if you join the ZClub as a full 'ZClub member' you are entitled to a free 'insurance valuation'. Within my valuation the conversion and 'by who' is detailed and of course the valuation takes into account the conversion.

tel240z

Club Member
As with all the gremlins it's all ok until until something happens then the woodwork crawlers make themseĺves very busy saving there company's loads òf cash so how far do they go 18 year old girl buys second hand focus that has fiesta Alloy wheels on it she doesn't know and fills the application forms in saying no modifications :unsure:

tel240z

Club Member
Sam, if you join the ZClub as a full 'ZClub member' you are entitled to a free 'insurance valuation'. Within my valuation the conversion and 'by who' is detailed and of course the valuation takes into account the conversion.

So Rob can I have three then , should keep you busy

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
So Rob can I have three then , should keep you busy

Terry speak to Moggy, he's our valuation man.

Status, why are you so intent of running the ZClub down and pointing people to other Clubs? If the Club is so bad (not referring to your comments on this Thread but others) why do you find it so interesting and can't keep away - is it your love affair with Sean's bald head?

status

Well-Known Forum User
In wot way have I run the club down,just pointing to another option,it's called choice,can't see a problem,just remembered,bit of history between said clubs and certain people,,don't know wot you have against the register,another option is an engineers report,that's another choice or am I wrong saying that,like I said to some one else many moons ago,if you don't like wot othher people say then stay away

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
8695a677c4266b3fffb980ff80cd176d.jpg

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I'm not bald - I'm shaven....it's called choice :lol:

And why is MJFox dressed like a Cpt Scarlett character ?

Only 3x Terry ?:rolleyes:

I don't think it matters unless its a mitigating factor in an accident. Or if someone set out to prove something else.

Rob, out of interest how 'up' is the club on current valuations and where do they source their info on what it is/type of car etc?