Renault Vel Satis - my family runaround !

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
In the light of certain comments regarding my choice of family car, I’d like to ask you how many upright saloon cars are available on the market ?

No, I don’t mean MPVs or 4x4s, real saloon cars that can seat 5 adults comfortably and their luggage (albeit with the aid of a roof-box if there are more than 50% female passengers and/or small children) !

Yes, there are estate cars but the current trend for them (as per saloons) is to be sleek, profiled ‘sporty’ looking with the inevitable low-ride height, smaller boot space and the risk of hitting your head on entering/ leaving the front and tripping over the wheel-arch whilst performing the same motion at the rear !

I can think of perhaps three exceptions, the current Mondeo, Citroen C5 and new Volkswagen Passat estates that have ‘cut-off backs’ as per the Volvos of dreaded suburbia school-runs !

I think that we shall see the return of higher saloon cars, as the market becomes flooded with 4x4s and they begin to be penalised for excess fuel consumption.

I don’t know about you guys and gals but I consider that a family car should be that – ANY car trying to be two or more things at the same time is obliged to compromise somewhere – the current trend for a firm ride (see every German car and Peugeot) is not necessary for good road-handling !

Having road-tested our Renault Vel Satis before buying and more recently having toured 1700 miles through France, South-West England, Wales and the Midlans, I’d like to share some observations with you that might convince you that Renault were ahead of their time in its’ conception and that it is VERY user friendly !

It is heavy and this helps its’ straigh-line stability – in fact it holds the road very well and takes corners with no effort or ‘leaning’. The weight is easily moved by our engine choice – the 150 bhp 2.2 turbo dci which, with a roof box and the car loaded up returned an average of 30 mpg. So what ? Well, for most of the journey up and down through France, I had it on cruise control (for 6 hours) at 85 mph and the next largest majority of roads used were those through Wales - up and down the gearbox !

Cruise control is wonderful and so easy to engage, use and over-ride – the horror stories of cars driving themselves cannot be believed ! The speed-limiter is as useful and easy too !

But it has no hand-brake, just a lovely, plush, central arm-rest, covering a capacious storage space with a supplementary cigar-lighter. In fact the hand-brake is operated by a pull-out ‘handle’ on the left of the steering wheel – no awkward , protruding and ungainly Jaguar umbrella-type thingies, no Mercedes foot pedals either. Once applied (by pulling, not yanking), it releases automatically when one pulls away – especially handy for hill-starts. If the engine is switched off, the brake is automatically applied too !

The tyres’ pressures are automatically surveyed, the seats are multi-positionable, both sides being electrically operated and heated. The steering wheel is adjustable in every which way but loose and is progressive in operation. The neon lights (automatically levelled according to loading) come on automatically when the car senses a reduction in luminosity (something that the new Ford Focus is trying very hard to claim as revolutionary) and the wipers are also automatic when rain is sensed ! Talking of wipers, over 95% of the screen is cleared in one swipe of the two blades !

It has a reversing-radar and if the ABS is engaged, the hazard warning lights come on automatically. Both this and the ESP can of course be over-ridden !

In fact, luckily there is a 6 speed gearbox that gives me something to do – very smooth too !

Air-conditioning is split between each side so she and I don’t fight over who has hot feet / cool air and demisting is SO quick (so very useful in Wales......) ! The rear seats have their own air-conditioning too !

Under each seat are storage boxes and the vast glove-box is air-conditioned and can hold a 1 ½ litre bottle of water plus assorted snacks. The rear centre arm-rest and a hidden panel in front of the front passenger contains drinks holders and more storage space.

Another nice little touch is that the ariel is in the rear screen (vandal proof) and especially appreciated is the speed sensitive volume controls on the hi-fi (dashboard loading 6 CD stacking system) ; when one slows down, the volumes automatically reduces – obviously, speeding up reverses the procedure !

The rear passengers have a wonderful leg-space and the head-rests all round are adjustable. The rears can fold completely down to allow great rear visibility whereas the front seats are ‘cut-away’ in the middle to aid rear occupants forward vision. Lateral vision is excellent too, one doesn’t sit down in the car !
The front seatbelts are in the seats and so are always at the optimum height to avoid rubbing ones’ neck !

All the doors and windows (all lowering to the doors’ height unlike most cars in the rear) are controllable from the drivers’ seat, allowing adjustment of window height before blocking childrens’ further interference. Works equally well to blast cold air into Grannys’ / your mother-in-laws’ face to induce pneumonia whilst no-ones’ looking, whilst blaming the sudden lowering and consquent blocking of the window on ‘typical Renault electrics’ that you’ll see too during the cars’ next garage visit !!!

The rear view mirror is light sensitive so when that berk behind is on full-beam, the light is reduced in ones’ eyes – the side mirrors have a coating to offer a similar protection and are electrically operated and retractable.

When one steps into / out of the car (front and rear) there is no twisting ones’ back, forcing ones’ way up and down, banging of heads on sleek roof-lines or scraping ones’ feet on doors. In short, the doors open very wide and have a large enough ‘squared’ aperture to allow anyone from a 2 year old to an 82 year old to easily get in and out of the car !

I really think that Renault designed us a car that does what we need and when we need it !

What we want is another thing and often dictated by what’s available and what we’re manipulated into by the manufacturers ! Example; why should we need more plastic on the side of a car and not painted panels ? We’re told that this offers more protection for the car ! So, make it all coloured plastic or bring back painted metal panels that work just as well to protect the car, except in car-parks, but then plastic all scuffed up isn’t attractive either......

Yes, the cars’ look is somewhat ‘different’, I think front-on is the worst but what counts for the owner is the inside and how it rides etc, etc. The outside of a family car counts if one is more self-conscious/ look obsessed and if I was choosy about name-brands and acceptable looks, I’d never had chased after Zs for nearly 20 years !

Lastly, it's crash protection rating is equal to that of the latest series E Mercs and better than the latest BMW series 5, it has airbags everywhere !!!

In all - comfort without compromise ; so many ‘gadgets’ work automatically and effortlessly – this is what boring, family motoring is all about – leave the sensation-filled driving for when you take your Z out !

The interior is frill-less - no glitzy tinsel trying to convince you why you've bought a luxury car, no false wood trying (poorly) to imitate '60s Jags !

This is a car that still costs over £30,000 here which we negociated (for a 3 year old car with 47,000 miles) with roof bars and box, 4 new Yokohamas and a tow bar fitted, a 3 year warranty and all plates and paperwork, essentially ‘key-in-hand’ for £12,000 !
The ‘baskets’ forgot to fill her up but when mentioned gave me some goodies from the shop (clothes hanger, locking wheelnuts and some smelly, extra screen wash) !

I’m sure they are cheaper than that in the UK but we never saw one in 9 days !

Ok, go ahead – rip me and my ‘new’ car to pieces........we can take it !

Last edited by a moderator:
your becoming too sensible in your old age.

But i guess know that you are a responsible family man, it's probably about time.

Can't say i love the shape, but a lot can be said for owning one and the convenient extras they have to facilitate a growing family. I could possibly grow to like it if i were in your shoes though. In terms of convenience it is probably a winner.

Enjoy.

Sounds great Sean, only one minor problem, it's French thus all the Electrics will pack up and go into spasms, turning the right indicator on when you turn the radio up, the heated door mirrors will melt shorting out the wiring and opening all the windows during a rain storm and what really sends me nuts is the motor will just die now and again thus putting that stupid handbrake on so hard it gets stuck! The release catch is under that cosy little arm rest by the way, you know where a proper cars handbrake is. Besides all of that, its not a bad car.;)

Look's alright....but as paul has said,it is a renault! Parts are expenZive & inZurance too!
Good thing...is it wont smack those dodgy barriers in car park'z, like
my transit(SEMI- HI) roof doe'z. DJZ 60.:cool:

Nice spacious looking design..

You have missed the point Sean,

1 - It is a Renault
2 - It is ugly

Stick with the Zs :D

the 150 bhp 2.2 turbo dci

You've missed out on the one redeeming feature - could you not have spec'd this with the Z engine - VQ35 V6, Nissan's "Renault" engine (thank you JC...not)?

Over here (didn't do much research and turned this one up very quickly):

2002 Gold, 25545 miles, Petrol, 3498cc, Hatchback, Automatic, Initiale, 3.5, 5-door, Hatchback, 5 Speed CD Player, ABS Brakes, Air Conditioning, Alloy Wheels, Central Locking, Leather Upholstery, Alarm, Driver's Airbag, Multiple Airbags, Power Steering, Immobiliser, Cruise Control, Climate Control, Heated Seats, Electric Windows £9495.

Only 25,000 were sold over here but then the press slayed it before it left the Paris Motor Show ! All about looks ! They were / are expensive too !

Yep, it is frumpy looking but is that everyones' priority for a family car ?
I remember someone here who paid out how much for a new set of injectors when his 3.0d packed up.......?

ALL modern cars have too many, too much complicated electrics but it is we, the consumers who demand it in comfort and safety !

I don't think Renault is any better or worse than any others - VW and Ausi don't have the best record but we all beleive it does, the BM 3 series is rotten with problems too !

Mike - She'd NEVER let me have a petrol engine and considering that diesel is 67p per litre over here, I can't blame her ! Anyway, I like my manual box, would I have an auto Z32 / 33...........?

I'm not too sensitive - you all know me so you can knock it but tell me what alternatives there are (short of vans, MPVs and 4x4s) ?

Sean, you're a brave man to actually ask folks here to make fun of you :)

Errrrr... and to admit owning a VS as well methinks :)

(says a man with a V40!!!)

At least I'l know where the shots are coming from !

Seriously, what is out there and does it give satisfaction. One doesn't need to own a proposed car but let's here them......

Hi,
What can you say?...It's a modern day Renault...Therefore it's ugly on the outside and cheap and nasty looking on the inside!
The last decent executive saloon that Renault made was the 30TX!
Perhaps if you had bought an Avantime?

avantime_jean_01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I though all renaults were called a megan,either way they r a dam-site ugley.i drive a saab,might be changing to a scooby sports wagon

I drive a Nissan Micra/Bluebird/Sunny and Z31.

All are good for me for different reasons. Not often I need a full family vehicle. (thank thee gods!!)

"Cheap and nasty on the inside" ? Have you sat in one ? At this price level, it feels good ! Can't say the same for other Renaults including the Espace which feels like a van with seats in !

I looked at Avantimes but they were too expensive and there're mostly petrol engines (Renaults big mistake was not to sell them immediately with a diesel inside) ! They also look like a dolls' pram (like the Megane) !

No oter family favourites then ? You're all so fussy about your Zs but ride around (for the majority of your time) in unsatisfactory, compromised people boxes ?

A C6 ? It weighs more than the VS ! And it's bland - I'd rather have a 607 !

Back