recipe for a big smile

ben240z

Club Member
Take one genuine group 5 european sports car 240z. Add a 3.1 ltr L series engine, dry sump it, add a period slide throttle assembly with aluminium air intake trumpets to house the injectors onto a ported big valve head. Remove all ignition and replace with plug mounted coils, fully mappable engine management to include adjustable traction control, launch control and data logging. When blended to produce well over 300hp and 270 ft lb of torque feed this through a twin plate AP race clutch to a straight cut close ratio dog box and then into a 3.1:1 limited slip diff. Add 11inch slicks to transfer this mixture onto the road and trim until total wieght is 850kgsis achieved. If this fails to provide a BIG smile when driven then go see a doctor

Does this car exist somewhere then? :) It interests me a lot, that vs the v8 route is a tough decision.

Now Russ .......... you know the answer to that one before you start :D

Alternatively wait and try both to see which you like, different strokes for different folks.

i would need to see a loan shark not a doctor!!!! it sounds like its gonna be a beastie!:D

You forgot to add " no lady drivers allowed" ho ho . I have here for you a 240 front crossmember curtosey of Geoff, if you are up this way give me a bell. I am of to Oz for three weeks on Friday, so best catch me end of April. Adrian.

A certain lady driver is a most essential ingredient to the recipe, have a good time in oz and will catch up with you when you get back. cheers ben

yes russ it does exist, only just up the road from you,Sadly due to waiting for some bits to arrive from the states and shockers to come back we will have to miss the first gurston of the season in april but will be there to support ken dollen, it should hopefully be finished and on the club stand at castle coombe Jap fest and then we start the season developing and getting to learn the car again at Gurston the following weekend.

its just that i do see many coils of this type failing on a far too regular intervals, if you want i'll pm you the one to stay away from. i have a very large stock from most manfactures that i regulary fit some dont last a year of regular use.:confused:

cheers m8 would appreciate that. I think we are using some that normally sit on a Judd motor but any info is useful ben

Talking of failed coils I had 2 go on my Golf recently. I didn't realise it was a big problem until I searched the web and it came back with hundreds of similar experiences. Fortunately VW replaced them even though it's out of warranty.

Sorry to hijack the thread Ben so will ask a question, in my ignorance a 3.1 diff seems high geared to me for a sprint/hillclimb car. What's the theory behind this?

hi rob, I use a 3.1 diff to get the gearing back up to a sensible top speed for what i am doing. The gear ratio's are so close and so low that with a 3.7 diff I would only have a top speed of about 70. Makes it a bit hard to do circuits like goodwood because I run out of revs along the lavant straight but as the car is mainly hillclimbs now that is what it is setup for. ben

Wow Ben, if I had a 3.1 in mine it would equate to about 140mph if I had the power! Using an early 280 box it's useful for me to have low gearing to avoid the need for 2nd. Thanks for the reply.

Back