Rear light lenses

ray100

Well-Known Forum User
Has anyone had experience of renovating the plastic rear light lenses from a 240/260z etc? Mine aren't cracked,just looking old & tired and i was thinking about stripping the coloured paint from the insides and possibly re-painting them with coloured nail varnish or something similar that would withstand the heat from the bulbs.Any ideas or comments from anyone that's done it?

sounds like they need a good clean and polish ,best is to remove them and wash them out with a baby bottle brush on the inside and rinse with clean water and leave to dry and then a good polish on the outside.

Thanks for that Ian,i've looked on http://www.frost.co.uk/ and they've got a Grand Polish & Conditioner that may work,i'll phone them tomorrow.Good idea Moggy,i did think about using Bi-carbonate of soda followed by some red & orange nail varnish once completely dry :unsure:

Has anyone had experience of renovating the plastic rear light lenses from a 240/260z etc? Mine aren't cracked,just looking old & tired and i was thinking about stripping the coloured paint from the insides and possibly re-painting them with coloured nail varnish or something similar that would withstand the heat from the bulbs.Any ideas or comments from anyone that's done it?

LOL!!!
They are NOT PAINTED inside. The plastic is self coloured.:smash:

Just polish them up with a drop of G3. No need to buy special plastic polish.

Pic of mine. Put in sink with warm soapy water for half an hour, swilled and thoroughly dried. Outside marks (paint stripper) cleaned off with very fine wet and dry and then polished with T cut.

Attachments

• 2008_09050001.JPG
    2008_09050001.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
When we used to work with plastics at school, to smooth off the scratches and scuffs we used emery paper then Brasso to finish. I tried it on some old lights I bought off eBay and it worked really well.

if cleaned really well and polished there is no need to varnish them,i used to clean mine then flat them with wet and dry and give them a coat of 2pack clear lacquer to mint them up.

Thanks to everyone for your input,i've options available now that i didn't have before! I'll post some before & after pictures when my rear lights are finished.

Back