Rear interior for the 280

Mrs HollowPoint

Well-Known Forum User
Well I have seen some nice replacement interior parts but I dont think there is everything I need in the set. Of course with stripping the boot, I'm assessing what Ive got.

I must say the 280ZX does have more useful storage than the 300 does.

The carpet, the foam underneath it, and the 2 storage boxes and handles are in good nick.

The list is growing for things I need to source. Round plastic covers, B pillar plastics perhaps, because the top ends are melted off. I may be able to fix them and just cover them though.

Looking at the warping and cracking on the driver rear window plastic doesnt look like something easy to fix and its a different colour from the other side. There is a plastic ring around where the seat belt comes through missing on one side.

Does the boot seal really need the ridiculous metal in it? Well if it does, it's dead then lol.

The very rear panel may look dire, but the breaks are easy fixed and it can be re-covered. The plastic that goes around where the boot latch goes in ideally needs replacing though.

We need new boot struts aswell. I had to work on it tentatively held up by a wooden pole lol.

When it was still in...
The other storage handle is, there, just wasnt installed.
attachment.php

Attachments

• interior-back1.jpg
    interior-back1.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 15
  • interior-back8.jpg
    interior-back8.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 19
  • interior-back7.jpg
    interior-back7.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 19
  • interior-back6.jpg
    interior-back6.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 20
  • interior-back5.jpg
    interior-back5.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 20
  • interior-back4.jpg
    interior-back4.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 19
  • interior-back3.jpg
    interior-back3.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 20
  • interior-back2.jpg
    interior-back2.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 19
  • interior-back-stillin.jpg
    interior-back-stillin.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 92
my 280zx has a specially made bracket for the rear strut. It is a chrome 'U' shaped piece of metal with a spring clip fastened to the base of the 'U' . It is the length of the opened piston.

The clip fastens round the thicker (outer)part of the strut when it is closed. When open you remove it and place the 'U' shaped piece round the thinner part of the strut (piston) between the outer part and the lid.

It seems top be specially made for the job as this is a common problem. Perhaps mike supplies them?

I think he can yes, but he's already put us in touch with an engineering company who can hopefully re-gas or replace them much cheaper than Nissan spares. Haven't got around to calling them yet, hopefully we can find a unit soon and get it in there, at which point the boot lid can come off to be refurbished itself and then there's less rush.

It's hard when you havent got a clue how it's SUPPOSED to look and go together!!

I'll be straight IN the first intact 280 I see :p

We have to figure out how the ECU is supposed to fix up. We do have the kick panel.
I'll be hunting for ideas for the stereo area... aswell as wiring a stereo in.

Also need to figure where speakers go. I found the 2 speaker holes behind the seats, but dont know if the car accommodates 4 as standard or not yet.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• ecu.jpg
    ecu.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 84
  • frontinter.jpg
    frontinter.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 85
  • nostereo.jpg
    nostereo.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 85
ECU pushes into sprung bracket at the rear and then fastens with short 10mm bolt(s).
The tailgate tool was something made for us long ago - might be able to find another (Derek's one was found in the garage junk and added to the car before he collected it - should have searched for one for the PAD - sorry!)
Call John in Scarborough and have a look at his 2 seater before he puts it away for the winter. Plus those panels he has won't be a fortune...
I have a replacement stereo fascia designed to take a standard single DIN unit if that's the way you want to go. Otherwise there are some interesting modern units with retro fit kits available now:

230-380_2_web_600.jpg

From moss-europe.co.uk...
LH opening then takes a cubby box rather than the clumsy Clarion tape deck.
Speakers are two low down behind the seats and one central in dash. Most will go for a custom replacement set. On my previous 280 I was looking at placing small speakers in the under dash closure panels (where the footwell lights are).
I have tailgate seal in stock (shared in common with Z31 300ZX and cuts to size).

There should have been one of the clips that hold the boot lid up in the back unless it went when you dumped some of the stuff from the back
you also have to remember that there is the Kaminari rear spoiler thing fixed to the boot lid and adds a lot of weight
I remember that i saw some where that someone doubled up on the struts because of this not sure if it was Pete Parmenters old 280 that is now owned by Andy Minto drop him a pm

As much as I love my car audio, I'm going to just use the 2 low speaker holes I found and put these couple of pyle 360W speakers in that I have lying around even though I think the holes may be only 5" spaces. They are super shallow speakers so I think I will get away with them not interfering with the storage boxes. I also have a couple of 4" infinitys sat in a cupboard. Handy size for hiding!
I can do something with the fascia, but its going to take some work to keep that little chrome edging. Its the stereo cage that's going to be 'fun'.
I'll change the cigarette lighter (not present), to be a double USB. In the end it should look like it's all meant to be there. That said, I'm not going to put the car back together without running amp, remote and RCA's just incase I blow a fuse (in my head) and want to upgrade it later since I have all that sat in a tub of wire on the garage shelf.

I'll be excavating that center speaker and throwing it out if it's still there!

There should have been one of the clips that hold the boot lid up in the back unless it went when you dumped some of the stuff from the back
you also have to remember that there is the Kaminari rear spoiler thing fixed to the boot lid and adds a lot of weight
I remember that i saw some where that someone doubled up on the struts because of this not sure if it was Pete Parmenters old 280 that is now owned by Andy Minto drop him a pm

I didnt really throw anything out. Just the old compressor and a few ciggy adapters that were probably for old phones. Anything salvageable is in a box and I cant see anything that resembles a clip. It's no big deal, and it's the same pole I've had to use for the 300 countless times to hold the boot up, I'm used to it although I'm sure this boot is twice as heavy than the other!

Well, after thinking about it, and the initial agreement that the interior ALL being BLUE BLUE BLUE!, we have agreed on what the colour scheme inside is going to be.

Carpet. Anthracite grey. Being the most forgiving carpetting colour and texture we have ever known.
Edging and piping - Purple. Not lilac, but more the dark damson range.
Seats and vinyl areas - light grey

There may be more purple accents in there but Ive not gone as far as to outline the exact finish but this is what I'm thinking so far.

I had a quote from a company in Derby a few years ago for 280zx replacement struts or the re gassing of the existing ones. The company was called SGS.
Cheerz,
JEZ

they also done mine used the existing strut ends and made new struts you may need to tell them you need extra pressure in your new struts than standard due to the spoiler added too your car very good service and good on price :)

Derrick;)

they also done mine used the existing strut ends and made new struts you may need to tell them you need extra pressure in your new struts than standard due to the spoiler added too your car very good service and good on price :)

Derrick;)

Cheers Derrick. We will be pointing out to them the giant whale tail needs some added support lol :cheers:

None of them were surprises mate, granted you always hope you're wrong and it's 'not that bad' and in fact it was that bad, lol, but none of it was a surprise.

Rose has been steadily ripping stuff out of it over the last few weeks, slowed down somewhat by the wind and rain of late of course. Taking a wet cover off it to get things out of it isn't pleasant.

Hopefully the 300 bits will turn up soon and I can maybe put an engine back in it and then put the 280 in the garage so we can work on it, but as I don't think they've even been posted yet and they're from the states, I'm not holding my breath :(

Tailgate struts

Hi,

I bought mine new from a supplier of struts in USA on Ebay.They cost £30+ including the postage to UK.
Did have to pay Parcelforce a handling fee with import tax of £8,but all in £38-£40 so a good deal.
Have just checked his Ebay listings,he has 2-seater and 2+2 struts listed,slightly dearer since I bought mine.Enter number 331049374780 into Ebay search.

Andy.

Of topic a little found any more surprise on the 280 :(

Nothing unexpected so far. Imagining how nice its going to be is great motivation. Getting its kit off is still the upcoming challenge. The real surprises happen when it comes back from that acid bath lol.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Back