Rear end repairs

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Hopefully someone has dismantled the area behind the rear quarter and lower valence and can help me out here.

Basically I need to replace the whole section with the green outline (this section joins the rear floor to the RH quarter panel), how far does it extend behind the larger box section (in the red circle)?

IMAG0316.jpg

Also, this small tab that prevents the fuel tank hitting the floor needs replacing, can anyone tell me how high from the floor it reaches at its highest point as the original one has a bit missing so changes height at will?

IMAG0317.jpg

thanks

Perfect! Thanks very much Wyn, just what I needed :thumbs:

I was worried it might extend quite a way along the back but it looks like I'll be able to replace the whole section without too much bother.

Also, I don't suppose you can remember if the rear valence is welded to the bumper bracket mounting points at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I don't suppose you can remember if the rear valence is welded to the bumper bracket mounting points at all?

Looking at its resto pics it looks like it
btw mine now has a pattern 240 valence panel modded to fit as thats all I could find.

Not 100% right but better then nowt :)

From what I rem it should have 2 large extra holes either side with grommets in them ?
Aswell as a hole above right of the exhaust
Not an issue now as I can drive it :D

It turns out it wasn't as easy as I was expecting, it definitely would have been easier without the quarter panel in the way! It was a right pain in the ass drilling out all the spot welds from inside the car but considering this was the first thing I had to fabricate I think it turned out ok, though I managed to set myself on fire again :(

Is there some trick to not setting yourself on fire? I'm new to this welding lark and I'm quickly running out of T-shirts.

IMAGE_435.jpg

IMAGE_438.jpg

IMAGE_437.jpg

Thanks again for the pictures, they were a massive help.

Impressive! You got to be pleased with that :)

Lots more welding to do or are you nearly there? Maybe a fire retardant boiler suit instead of T shirts?

nice fabricated piece the welding looks dam good too keep up the good work:)look forward to seeing it finished:thumbs:

Cheers, nice to hear some encouragement from people who actually know what they're doing! The original section was completely gone...

IMAG0440.jpg

IMAG0441.jpg

I was wearing a boiler suit, apparantly not fire retardent though :unsure:

Lots of welding left; already done the front chassis rails, rear lower corners, rear floor extensions. Still need to do the rear valance, sills on both sides (inner and outer), both rear wheel arches, rh dogleg, lh quarter area next to the hatch, fuel filler area, floors need looking at too. Need to redo all the previous owner's screw ups as well.

Next mission is the valence, bumper mounting points on my car are different from 240z and later 260z so had to modify the new one by moving them:

IMAG0442.jpg

I don't believe it, someone is actually selling one of these parts. The amount of time and effort that would have saved :banghead:

It'd probably fit better too!

I had the same when I wanted a section from a rear quarter panel
In the end I got one cut from a car in the states and shipped over ... only for one to then appear for sale new over here :unsure:

Always the way :D

I just bought a RHS headlight surround from the States because I couldn't find one here, then one showed up on eBay three days later. That is some badass fabrication you did there though, fair play

nice job on the paneling making !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i had my car on a rotisserie which made it easier to weld

The original section was completely gone...

IMAG0440.jpg

IMAG0441.jpg

Pfft, call that completely gone! Could have done with your fabrication skills today - had to replace the same panel on mine.. It was in considerably worse state, the half of it that was actually left after I pulled all the fibreglass off. I only wish I'd been able to do as good a job of it.

No-one's going to see it, doesn't really matter what it looks like as long as it stops the boot floor falling out!

I'm sure you did a good job of it, not one of the most enjoyable areas to work on is it

It sounds like you are fixing a previous owner's cock-ups? I know that feeling... having to remove dodgy patches doubles the amount of work :(

That is exactly the way I looked at it. As long as I'm cutting the rot out and replacing it with metal I'm not overly fussed whether it looks factory or not.

Welding from underneath isn't the most fun, no. Unless you have leather skin.

Yup. I'm not too quick to whinge about the quality of work other people have done on cars, as we all go about things a bit differently and not everyone has the time, money, skill or even the inclination to do everything perfectly, myself most definitely included, but things like big patches only tacked on in a couple places, straight on to existing rust, and BLOODY fibreglass, that does irritate me.

Back