Rear camber prob..Pls HELP

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
Right

Not a problem that I was particularly aware of previously but I have just fitted my newly purchased GAZ coilovers to my Z

BUT it appears that one rear wheel has a noticeably greater camber than the other side.

I am perplexed as from what I can see this is not adjustable.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Note.....The N/S has a spacer on to try an even the offset so without shows it sitting in at the top a fair way more than the O/S

It's obvious though that the camber is ping pong

This is doing my swede in

Is the measurement from the ground to wheel arch the same both sides? Both wheels look to be spaced out the same so has one got a spacer on? Any signs of the car taking a sideways wack at one of the wheels? Strutt bent? I'd sit the car level on axle stands and with the wheels off jack the suspension up untill both wishbones are level. Then check that the wheel mounting faces are both the same. Maybe GAZ welded the new strutt tubes on pissed.

Maybe the previous nun who owned it from new, was into drifting and hit a curb sideways a few too many time!!

Yes the side with too much camber has about 6mm spacer.

The car is level too.

I'm not sure whether GAZ remove the tube from the axle bearing housing??? If they do then I would guess this must be the problem

I think if the Nun had drifted into a kerb the wheel would have Positive camber....doesn't look to be any accident damage but I had considered the same

Either way massive pain in the **** to take it all off again

Have you tried it without the spacer? Maybe the spacer is preventing the wheel from seating properly.

I suppose the only thing you can do is jack it up and take the rear wheels off, then measure the angle from the hub face to the strut tube and see if one is off. What sort of top mounts are you using? Maybe there is something screwy going on up there?

Yeah I thought top mounts might be squiffy but they look pretty central etc

Std rubber jobbies

Are there adjustable ones available?

Yeah I thought top mounts might be squiffy but they look pretty central etc

Std rubber jobbies

Are there adjustable ones available?

Sure early n late are diffo heights, but not sure if interchangeable or would be a lot more difference if incorrectly fitted ?

Right
I have just fitted my newly purchased GAZ coilovers to my Z

Are they your own legs or supplied by them?
Thinking about it if it was ok before it should be ok now

Could be one is bent, or odd inserts or just adjusted spring height wrong lol ?
Any pics of how the new legs came ?

Lee, have you measured the camber accurately with the car on a flat surface, it can be deceptive.

The 6mm bit is concerning.

As Rob says measure with a proper camber gauge.
If you've lowered the car it may accentuate what was already there i.e., Bent suspension arm or rear arches that aren’t straight.

They're the struts I supplied and hopefully they didn't mix them

The car is even on height and the fact that is sat in so much further than the other side is a concern but then with the huge Neg camber this would of course be the case.

I'll measure it accurately but I figure I'll measure the space between the inside tyre edge and the strut and compare to the other side as these are fixed points no matter what the height is.

Thinking on, are there adjustable top mounts available for these cars?

Lee, seeing as I am coming down to see you next week shall I bring my mate's camber measuring instruments?

There's a few options for top mounts. I use ground control camber plate's and Darren uses a different version that needs no cutting.

When GAZ build these strutts they machine out the old strutt tuube and insert a complete new one.

Lee, seeing as I am coming down to see you next week shall I bring my mate's camber measuring instruments?

I think I have one somewhere Rob but thank you

There's a few options for top mounts. I use ground control camber plate's and Darren uses a different version that needs no cutting.

When GAZ build these strutts they machine out the old strutt tuube and insert a complete new one.

So as I suspected, GAZ don't cut anything that would adjust the angle of the dangle.

Could you expand on the different camber adjusters you mention.....Anything that's easy peasy would be preferable....I guess no cutting would be preferable

The type Darren used would be preferable then. Can't remember who make then, only that they start with K, I think.

Back