Rear Brakes again....

Mr.G

Club Member
I know some of you will be thinking that this topic has been done to death but I've read all the old posts and I just wanted a new take on things as well as enquire which kit was the simplest to fit, in terms of getting the handbrake to work well will less fettling. A plug and play kit works for me

I don't really want to go down the 280ZX caliper route.

I'll be running Toyota hilux equivalents on the front with the 15/16 280zx master cylinder, I gather that I will still need an adjustable brake proportioning valve. Where in the circuit should this be fitted, does it matter front or back?

I was really happy with the stock brakes as I don't do too much track work but I am upgrading my rear stub axles and thought it time to make the change whilst everything is apart.

CheerZ

Last edited by a moderator:

GTR-240Z

Well-Known Forum User
George I've run the early 280zx rear brake conversion which was complete **** and was replaced with the DJ conversion when I discovered you could no longer get rebuild kits for the early zx calipers anymore.
The DJ kit is good but you may find it needs a little fettling to fit but your probably need to do that with any kit.
You will need the proportioning valve and its fitted in the rear brake circuit.

Mr.G

Club Member
CheerZ Darren, I've now decide DJ one is for me.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I've used a DJ rear set-up for a while - but it wasn't a simple plug and play. The handbrake system takes a bit of work and it's operation might need a mod. to the lever to get enough movement at the caliper.

I haven't got a rear brake 'limiter' and they do get a bit hot.

Recently fitted a DJ front set-up too and that's a big improvement over my Range Rover set up, mainly due to the increased disc dia and width over the Pug disc.

johnymd

Club Member
I've recently fitted the dj kit to go with my AZ willwood fronts. The dj kit is the best option out there but mine required more modification than I would of hoped. One of the brackets simple did not fit and required over an hour of cutting and grinding in order to get it to fit. I've not heard of this problem before and think it was a one off issue with a bracket that wasn't welded together correctly. The handbrake doesn't work and the adjusters are not accessible without removing the diff due to my new diff mount. I'll worry about this when my mot is due. Dispite all this I do feel it is the only kit to go for. Comes with willwood pads too.

I've have not fitted a bias valve and still need to test the cars stability under heavy brakeing in all condition.

Mr.G

Club Member
John, thanks for your input - what diff mount have you gone for as one of the reasons Im going for this kit is so that my handbrake will be fully functional. I just want to make sure we're not using the same diff mount!!!

The one I'm using is the Ron Tyler unit.

Wyn

Club Member
Fitted a DJ kit to mine and would say very pleased with the outcome
My cars still not on the road but it all seemed to fit into place just right
As an observation if I wasn't fitting new hubs n bearings the only thing I would say would be nice if the DJ brake back plate brkt wasn't full circle
As it is it means the hubs need to be pulled to fit his kit
btw, So far so good on mine the handbrake seems to work (4 clicks) with careful adjustment of the pistons prior to fitting the cable

Mr.G

Club Member
Yes, I wouldnt want a solid mount either. While the car is still not on the road you may want to look at the Ron Tyler diff mount, here's some details, not saying you must have one but showing you in case you're not familiar as it's a good set up*: Ron Tyler diff mount installed - HybridZ

If this tickles your fancy I have a spare one you're welcome to try out.

* should read appears to be a good set up - I havent fitted mine yet but their seems to be a lot of happy customers on Hybridz .

Wyn

Club Member
Cheers George but I will give me new mount a try first
If I still have issues with prop clearance then I may try that option

Mr.G

Club Member
Have you forgot how cool finned drums look!? :)

Yes.... I must have :unsure: :)

To be fair, with the wheels I have you won't even be able to notice the drums, just going for it because the stubs will be out anyway.... Another while I'm at it attitude.....$$$$.. Which I promised I'd curb :smash:

:)

As a side note, obviously drums work very well, whats the reason for the upgrade apart from if you like the visual look of discs?

johnymd

Club Member
I've used the ron tyler diff mount. If you look at your pics you will notice the hand brake cable runs over the diff mount. This is where the adjusters are for the DJ kit. Once the diff is in place it becomes very difficult to get to the release the locknuts and rotate the adjusters.

Wyn - I didn't notice any adjustment on the caliper. Maybe this is what im doing wrong. I was in a bit of a rush when I fitted though.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Franky, speaking for myself nothing on my car is changed for the looks. On trackdays heat dissipation is the main problem especially when 3 of you share the car. However having cured the front heat issue I now stay out longer and the rears get quite hot! And so it goes on............. You don't realise how you develop things until like me you drive a standard car too.

Mr.G

Club Member
I've used the ron tyler diff mount. If you look at your pics you will notice the hand brake cable runs over the diff mount. This is where the adjusters are for the DJ kit. Once the diff is in place it becomes very difficult to get to the release the locknuts and rotate the adjusters.

so would the trick be, fitting the brake kit with the diff and the Ron Tyler mount off first, doing all the adjustments and then refitting the Ron Tyler mount and then the diff? Or is it ot as easy as that ?

johnymd

Club Member
George - I guess the correct way would be to install the disc conversion, which would be easier with the diff out, then put the wheels back on(to hold the disc in place). Then you could play about with the adjustment.

Mr.G

Club Member
George - I guess the correct way would be to install the disc conversion, which would be easier with the diff out, then put the wheels back on(to hold the disc in place). Then you could play about with the adjustment.

The penny has dropped, it sometimes takes a while but when it does fall it's a Eureka moment:D, cheerZ for your patience.... Great tip as I havent fitted my RTz mount yet and I need to do a diff change so will do it all at once, with the rear brakes the first thing to do.