Rear battery installation

H3nrY

Well-Known Forum User
Hey all

I was having problems with my old battery, and decided to for a Gel-based Varley Red Rop battery complete with battery box and switch. I did not install it in the usual spare tyre place, but between the 2 storage spaces behind the seats. I figured this would be good as it sits right in the middle of the car and nearly on top of the rear axle.

The battery weighs only 9 kg, which is 19,8 lbs for you English folks ;), compared to a whopping 17 kg (37,4 lbs) of the old acid-lead battery. There are some advantages and disadvantages however:

pro´s
- does not get warm, and can withstand movement very well
- small weight and seize, and still able to start a large engine
- no maintenance needed
- easy to work on the car if the battery switch is installed
- no threat of dangerous gasses or spillage anymore
con´s
- the battery switch is needed, as gel battery´s don´t like long and slow discharges (like clocks or alarms)
- you need to charge them up regularly on a battery charger
- price, mine was ok, but the larger the capacity (if needed), the higher the price.
- when those batteries are empty due to discharging, you can basicly throw them away.

I installed the batterry cable through the firewall and along the center console. This is I find , the shortest and easiest route. You don´t want to install the cable below the car, in case of something hitting the cable below, and causing a fire hazard. It will also be exposed to weather conditions, so I don´t recommend it.
I mounted the battery switch on the battery box using a dremel-tool to make the cutout. I also attached the battery connectors to the cables by melting soldering iron in the connectors. That way, it stays where it is.

The battery box is attached to the car´s chassis by 4 bolts&washers. The good thing about that specific location is that is does not go directly through the underside of the chassis. There is an empty space between the 2 storage locations and you can easily reach the bolts. The battery itself is hold in place by a rachet. (which works very well suprisingly) For an added quality touch, I made a cutout in the rear leather carpet and finished it off, and it covers up the battery location and I can still open the storage doors. I´ve been driving for some weeks now, and have no peculiarities to report. It was done in 4 hours with the correct tools, by someone who is by no means a mechanic :D

Anyway, these are some pics

P1010116.jpg

P1010118.jpg

2011-08-13184114.jpg

P1010123.jpg

P1010124.jpg

P1010125.jpg

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Interesting thanks. I've considered doing similar but I would like the battery out of the way and lower, perhaps behind one of the seats (there is room in my car).

Why is your earth cable so small - are you sure it is capable of carrying the current at 'start-up' ?

H3nrY

Well-Known Forum User
Interesting thanks. I've considered doing similar but I would like the battery out of the way and lower, perhaps behind one of the seats (there is room in my car).

Why is your earth cable so small - are you sure it is capable of carrying the current at 'start-up' ?

Hey Rob, yes well, my original plan was in the spare tire well, but I miscalculated the size of the battery box to be honest :p , behind the seats would look like a good idea!

Well, I haven´t had any problems util now, but I was being lazy at the time. But you´re right, I think I´ll change the ground cable into a bigger one.

rallymanDP

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Hendrik

Just a note of caution from a previous disaster I heard of some years ago in a 240Z - how have you fitted the Positive lead as it goes through the Bulkhead ?
It needs a proper insulated Terminal, or some very thick Rubber Mountings to prevent the +ve from earthing itself by eroding any fixing Grommet- which will start a major conflagration ( i.e a bloody big Fire ) - very quickly !

I have seen the end result of this - a written-off 240Z. Not a pretty sight....hopefully this will not happen to you.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Hendrik

I like your thinking although I run mine behind the passenger seat, incidentally with your engine running, when you turn your isolator switch does the engine still run on (some do due to current supplied by the alternator, a diode fixes that)

H3nrY

Well-Known Forum User
Duncan,

the cable groes through an already insulated hole of the firewall. I´m not to keen on making extra holes, so I used this one.It goes through some kind of rubber housing in the firewall. I used some plastic covers and melted them over the terminal ends + covered them up using gaffer tape.

Skidell, no I did not attach it to the alternator and indeed, it´s not fire proof. That will be for future use, but I´ll have to use a distribution block of some kind.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
i did a similar thing to one of my datsuns and fitted the battery behind the passenger seat but i was to do it again i was thinking of the passenger footwell/gearbox tunnel as shorter cables and easier access and to keep the weight lower down in the car