Radio alternative

Craig_260

Well-Known Forum User
Just wanna know what you guys have done for a radio alternative if its like mine and doesnt work. Did you fit a modern one or source an original for it? If you got a modern one are there conversion harnesses available? Ive looked around and all i can find is one that replicates the original design but i refuse to pay 200+ for a radio lol.

Hi Craig I fitted an older 80s radio casstte to mine just used original mountings with spacers and cutaway the plastic surround to acommodate din series components.
Seems to work quite well.
You may also want to replace the original speakers as they are really ****!!
I used 5" drivers and beeded to enlarge the oles very slightly.
:thumbs:

I took out my original radio/cassette from my 1978 260Z and had a company fit a modern CD unit in a discreet black colour without all the flashing lights/bells/whistles. They had no trouble slotting it in and it looks fine.

BUT . . . this means I would be prepared to sell my original radio if you are interested! The radio works fine, but the cassette player has a problem which I am told could easily be resolved. When you drop a cassette in it plays through both speakers for a couple of minutes, then suddenly only plays through one speaker. The guy at the stereo place said it was the tracking that needed adjusting and could probably be fixed..

Also the switch that sends the aerial up and down is missing. But otherwise it is in very good condition. I would take £100 for it plus delivery. PM me if interested.

I just chucked my old radio cassette in the bin last week!!
If I thought it was worth a tenner I would have kept it!
I stripped it to reapair it and gave up after finding all the belts etc are perished etc, not worth the hasstle if you ask me.
Just get a decent 2nd hand one from a few years ago, better sound eg more than 5watts and more reliable.

You know you can get them converted to accept an MP3 player etc.?
The conversion adds a line-in lead at the back of the unit and what you do is set the radio to a certain frequency to listen to the line-in; that way you get to keep the original look and have modern functionality too :)

Cheers for the ideas and replies guys.
"I took out my original radio/cassette from my 1978 260Z and had a company fit a modern CD unit in a discreet black colour without all the flashing lights/bells/whistles. They had no trouble slotting it in and it looks fine."
How is it wired in is it just hard wired in to the loom?

You know you can get them converted to accept an MP3 player etc.?
The conversion adds a line-in lead at the back of the unit and what you do is set the radio to a certain frequency to listen to the line-in; that way you get to keep the original look and have modern functionality too :)

I didnt know that no I had one where you put a tape in but because my tape player wont play and just keeps flicking between fast forward and rewind it wont play right. Does it work on AM my radio only has AM and not FM.

No idea - the guys at the stereo place did it all while I was having a pint in the pub next door!
Haha fair one well if theyve done it I atleast know its possible.

I think it works for either, fairly sure they put a couple of contacts on the track of the frequency display so that when they meet up you get line-in

Sounds good do you have a link or anything where I can look more into it?

I read about it a while ago, not sure where though. I suppose you could do it yourself pretty easily and use one of the switches on the front to select it?

Hi Craig I fitted an older 80s radio casstte to mine just used original mountings with spacers and cutaway the plastic surround to acommodate din series components.
Seems to work quite well.
You may also want to replace the original speakers as they are really ****!!
I used 5" drivers and beeded to enlarge the oles very slightly.
:thumbs:

Speakers??

You mean, you had more than 1??

Back