Racing type brake fluid 240z

Zed2k

Well-Known Forum User
Hi I'm fitting Vented discs with Mintex pads on the front of my 240z and was wondering which high temp brake fliud would be suitable to use with the 240z brake system still using rear drums at present that's a job for later but don't want to boil the brake fliud on track days etc.s

Thanks
:)
Nick..

Yes Dot 4 is an upgrade and there is Super dot 4 too, I'm thinking of using Dot 5.1 very high temp but not sure if it's compatible with master cylinder rubber seals as putting the wrong fluid in can make these and other critical seals fail not good on the road or track....

dot 4 should be fine, abs systems dont like some scilicone based fluids, it always says on the tin! dot 5.1 is very good but it does need very regular fluid changes.

if your going to track day the car a fluid change before and after would be the best option assuming its your road car too... just adds another tenner to the total price of the track day.

of course the other school of thought is; what do you want brakes for, its a race track,unless you intend to play chicken with the armco!:eek:

The DOT spec is based around boiling points of the fluid new and after a period of time (6 months or so) as brake fluid is hygroscopic (it absorbs moisture) this changes.

An efficient braking system that can distribute and dissipate heat well, can utilise a lower DOT rating fluid

Some "race" fluids don’t even meet the DOT spec as they are designed purely for high temperature race applications and will be changed many times a year so moisture absorption isn’t an issue

And yes DOT 5.1 is primarily for ABS systems and should be changed every 2 years.

Nick I have always used dot 5.1 in the cars whether for track days or hillclimbs/sprints. Havnt had a problem yet with either seals or boiling. cheers ben
ps will let you know shortly about the bonnet as I have to make mine in the next couple of weeks

Thanks for your info guys, I have been trying to work out what high temp fluid is safe to use on the standard system, I think I'll use 5.1 as Ben says and grolls most of the time on track days I have no or Crappy brakes that's why i'm trying to sort them for Japfest and Coombe! makes things interesting

Back