Quaife Press Release

Mr.F

Inactive
For those who doubt the efficiency of the Quaife ATB:

1.4 seconds quicker to 100mph with a Quaife differential! Performance Ford magazine proves the value of the Quaife automatic torque biasing helical gear limited slip differential in a 350bhp Ford Focus ST.
When Nick Thomas, Deputy Editor of Performance Ford, the UK's leading Ford tuning title, approached Quaife with the idea of conducting a back to back performance test on the Quaife ATB helical gear limited slip differential we were keen to accept the offer.
As well we might, because the team at Quaife Engineering has enormous confidence in the performance and reliability of the ATB differential unit. That's why it's the number one choice for race and rally users, fast road customers and the world's leading car manufacturers including Ford, General Motors and Chrysler.
Even so, Performance Ford's results were astonishing - using a 350bhp tuned Focus ST, a baseline set of figures were generated using the original ‘open' Ford differential.
The Quaife ATB helical gear limited slip differential was then installed and the same tests conducted, albeit in worsening weather conditions, which left the test track greasier than before, yet the Quaife unit shaved a massive 1.4 seconds off the 0-100mph time, as well as trimming 0.3 seconds from the 0-60mph sprint.
QDF13J-no_cut_out.JPG

With a retail price of just £550.00 plus VAT, the Quaife ATB differential is designed and produced solely in the UK from quality Corus steel billets and is backed with the peace of mind of a lifetime warranty.
For the full story of this successful test of a Quaife automatic torque biasing helical gear limited slip differential, please read the March 2008 issue of Performance Ford magazine, available at all good newsagents.

Available through MJP (Eastern Auto) for all R200 equipped vehicles (and many others of course...).

Russ

Club Member
So this one mentioned would fit an R200? Looks awesome. I guess this just goes into the R200 casing and voila?

In no position to buy one, but looks v cool, one day.

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
For those who doubt the efficiency of the Quaife ATB:

1.4 seconds quicker to 100mph with a Quaife differential!

Tested against an open diff I should bloody well hope so !!!!

Should have been tested against viscous and plate type LSD's really - otherwise the claim is pretty empty.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Tested against an open diff I should bloody well hope so !!!!

Should have been tested against viscous and plate type LSD's really - otherwise the claim is pretty empty.

Yep....and what were you doing Mr F, reading a F**d performance artcile ?:rolleyes:

Mr.F

Inactive
Prices for relevant ATB differential units:

350Z manual originally with viscous LSD (i.e. UK spec) £635 + VAT
R200 version - all 260Z / 280ZX / Z31 300ZX £625 + VAT

All the 350Z units have been sent out for some International race series and there won't be stock for approx. eight weeks...

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I've read that MoT brake tests can damage a 350Z LSD. Anyone care to comment?

Thinking about it, when they test each wheel doesn't the ABS activate?

I know 4WD cars are a problem when testing, in fact don't they have to be road tested instead? In fact how are 4WD cars run on a rolling road?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.F

Inactive
As far as I am aware it is possible to overheat the fluid in a VLSD and once this has happened the unit is all but useless. This is the sort of situation that would occur with repeated drift use or dough-nutting (donutting?). It is unlikely to occur in short term use on the MOT rollers and I have heard no reports of damage being caused in this way.

The VLSD is not highly regarded for anything other than moderate road use.

Four wheel drive cars require a dedicated FWD rolling road unless the FWD function can be switched off (like most FWD trucks and my Stagea).

twoforty

Well-Known Forum User
4wd cars can be damaged on dynos's if not tested properly. Dyno dynamics make a dyno that can test all 4wd cars as does Dastek. The main difference between the 2 is in the control....DD holds front and rear rollers at different speeds/loads and the Dastek keeps front and rear rollers at the same speed. With systems like the one fitted to Audi (Haldex) you can pull out the fuse to the control unit to stop it shifting power between wheels.