Quagmire's Z31 2+2, work in progress

Quagmire

Well-Known Forum User
Quagmire's Z31 Satin Paint

Seeing as my Z31 is coming off the road tomorrow for an overhaul I thought I'd start a project thread and document my progress.

Here's what it looked like last year
NewZ.jpg

It's not done too bad over the winter but it does need some cosmetics doing.

So far all I've done is cut out most of the rust on the passenger side arch, there's a little more to do around the mudflap area but the rest of the arch is fine. The next part is to repair the inner and form the outer arch shape in metal and have a bash at the welding:)

zrep2.jpg

Zrep1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Nidge74

New Forum User
Will follow the progress on this, as gonna have a crack at mine soon.

Hints and tips will be useful :)

rhanagar

Well-Known Forum User
I have a similar issue with rust except mine is the bit underneath the car ... on both sides. Must get back to it when funds get better

Quagmire

Well-Known Forum User
Been rubbing down the front of the car, taking ages to get the laquer off. Think I ned some better sanding equipment.

Quagmire

Well-Known Forum User
Ok here's some pics of my progress, I've not got far but then there's no rush and I've got a lot going on at the moment, but I'm getting there. I've removed the front drivers wing and side skirt (pain in the arse). For a UK car I'm surprised there isn't more rust/rot.

zrep2-1.jpg

Zrep1-1.jpg

zrep3.jpg

Quagmire

Well-Known Forum User
I'm having a bash at repairing the wings I have :/ I've had a spare front left lying around that was badly damaged and managed to graft a section onto my existing wing. Not ideal but unless I can source a pair of wings I've got to try (someone must be breaking a Z31??). I'm a bodywork novice but I'll give anything a bash.:smash:

Zrep3-1.jpg

Quagmire

Well-Known Forum User
I had a mess around with a can of black just to get an impression of what it's going to look like. ( i was bored ) 5 litres of Cellulose will take care of it me thinks. I haven't sprayed gloss with a compressor before so it's going to be a learning experience.

Z31test1.jpg

z31test2.jpg

@Sascha

I'd defo like to go to at least one of them :D

Quagmire

Well-Known Forum User
Bit more work, I'm not that good at body work but I like to have a go.

Top of arch repaired driver side
DSCF2656.jpg

lower rear sorner repaired passenger side
DSCF2649.jpg

Front wing repaired, although not finished off yet and NO the tape isn't holding it on :O
DSCF2652.jpg

DSCF2653.jpg

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
are you doing the paintwork yourself,
nice job on the repairs !!!!!

Quagmire

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks, I like the satisfaction of doing as much work on the car as I can, plus it's cheaper:)

I'm going to have a bash at doing the paintwork myself, I've got a compressor. I've sprayed a couple of beetles in the past but only Matte colours, I've heard gloss black is one of the worst to spray as it shows up all the imperfections:eek: But hey, gotta try these things.

Dale

Club Member
It might not be to your taste, but have you ever considered ZG flares? One thing that I like on the pre-facelift Z31 was the lip on the wheel arches, and I've just found this picture with one with the flared arches. I like!

DSC_0123.jpg

Dale

Club Member
Yep, you're right. Your arches having gentle flare from higher up don't they, so the ZG's would look wrong.

Quagmire

Well-Known Forum User
For unforseen compressor issues, I've had to begin operation rattle can satin black :D

4974596206_f13d1c7ae3.jpg

4973981131_274ec95658.jpg

4974596746_4e311f7824.jpg

Just got the reat of the car to paint now :D I've only done the front :-D

Quagmire

Well-Known Forum User
I know it's a right old game :O So far 6 cans :D I didn't want to rattle can it but I'm running out of summer and it looks better all one colour rather than red and bits of primer I think.