Preload rear wheel bearings

240L31

Club Member
Hey guys,

I replaced my rear wheel bearings and torqued the axle nut to 290Nm. Is it common that the axle feels rather stiff?

I measured around 1000g with a fish scale to start axle rotation (FSM spec: 750g).

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I've read cases where it felt stiff because the seal was slightly proud, but no personal experience.

240L31

Club Member
That's what I experienced as well with a previous built. But this time the seal is no issue for sure (seated correctly).

Hey guys,

I replaced my rear wheel bearings and torqued the axle nut to 290Nm. Is it common that the axle feels rather stiff?

I measured around 1000g with a fish scale to start axle rotation (FSM spec: 750g).
I had the same, ended up torquing up, backing off, torquing up. then a wheel on to give a flywheel effect, then all fell within specs.

240L31

Club Member
What I don't understand is how the axle nut torque can affect preload. To my understanding the distance between the two inner bearing rings is set by the spacer (which is solid and not a crush type spacer).

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
What I don't understand is how the axle nut torque can affect preload. To my understanding the distance between the two inner bearing rings is set by the spacer (which is solid and not a crush type spacer).

You can get different spacers. You need to measure for the correct one.

Though I have had experience of the seals binding too. If you’re turning without a wheel on they will feel stiff.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
The spacer is specific to the hub isn't it? So don't think you should have to measure or change the spacer if you're just doing bearings.

its a distance piece, their stamped/matched. It wasn't much fun getting them right.

I wouldn't be surprised if they ran them 'loose' in period to free up a bit of HP.

240L31

Club Member
It is clear that there is a spacer and how it works. But why does the FSM recommend to adjust the axle nut torque so that a preload of around 800g at the wheel stud can be measured?

I can't see how increasing the torque past a certain threshold would make any difference in preload. :conf2:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I had this issue when I did mine - thanks to @Albrecht 's suggestion, that it could be the plastic dust cover not being full home (even by a fraction of a mm) causing "sticktion", I went back, took it off and drove the dust cover home again, using a big socket and mallet.

It went from what you are experiencing to a very acceptable, within FSM spec. I went from 3.3Kg at the wheel bolts before rotating to between 400g - 600g. I didn't quite believe it could be just the dust cover at first, but it's amazing how it can interfere if not absolutely all the way in.

Try re-installing without the dust cover and test to see if you get the same level of friction / sticktion. As a very final resort, you could always very carefully, trim the edges of the dust cover by say 1mm (facing the wheel side) with a scalpel - it shouldn't affect it's operation as it's only pushing against the outer race of the bearings and the outside and centre bore are what really does the dust ingress resistance.

EDIT: See post 218 on my main thread: https://zclub.net/community/index.php?threads/from-smoker-to-sssssmokin’.23533/page-11

Last edited:

240L31

Club Member
I feel a bit stupid now. Instead of debating I should have tried what the FSM recommends: adjust the axle nut torque 😂

I backed off the nut by maybe 10 degree. Results in 800g preload, so right on point. I still don't understand why the axle torque has any effect, though.

Last edited:

johnymd

Club Member
With this design of hub you do really need to fit the bearings correctly and understanding how the balls are designed to run in the race helps.