power steering

Martin W

Well-Known Forum User
im sure its in the forum some place but i cant see it?????

i would like to install power steering into my 260 and thought that the set up from a late 280zx would be ok , i think they have a rack on them and not a box type set up,,, am i right???

so my question is can it be done and what do i need to do it?????

thanks my trusty club
martin

yes Martin late 280s rack 'n' pinion early ones box type yuk

elictric p/steering is an option check 900s thread on this

different racks could mess up your geometery

yes Martin late 280s rack 'n' pinion early ones box type yuk

elictric p/steering is an option check 900s thread on this

different racks could mess up your geometery

I wonder if Wyn will put these into production one day. Wyn ? ;)

280ZX rack fits on the opposite side of the crossmember and operates on trailing knuckles rather than leading knuckles - once installed you would have to learn to drive in mirror image. Right becomes left and left becomes right...
Might get away with a rotated LHD rack but I've never heard of anyone doing it.

Martin,

Over here we're perfecting Wyns concept and installing a kit into a 260Z 2+2. If that works, a few kits will be available for 240/260Zs.
Kit will have a dial for manual control of the assistance.

Martin,

Over here we're perfecting Wyns concept and installing a kit into a 260Z 2+2. If that works, a few kits will be available for 240/260Zs.
Kit will have a dial for manual control of the assistance.

interersting professor dezart........

thanks guys looks like the 280 idea is out the window then, iv got enough trouble with my left,s and right,s as it is without my left being right and my:confused: o you get the idea:lol:
i like the sound of the mx5 idea tho as the rack,s are not that dear mite be worth a look, bongo have you done it???

cheers martin

By traditional do you mean with a hydraulic pump running off the engine ?

Yes he does theres a rack and pump on e-bay right now

Martin google saburu forrester (yes thats spelt wrong with 2 Rs) and download the pictures may be of interest

Mechanical or electric driven, there are plenty of electric hydraulic pumps to choose from too

Mechanical or electric driven, there are plenty of electric hydraulic pumps to choose from too

Interesting i like the idea of using a modern power rack and a remote electric pump probably running part time, rather than putting the assistance through a 35 year old rack most of them are worn now and in my case not designed to turn 235s lock to lock, dont think one would last long on a test bed. Hmm need to find out more about these electric pumps and how there controlled, maybe i need to fit a speed sensor to one of my wheels

Any thoughts

Hmm need to find out more about these electric pumps and how there controlled, maybe i need to fit a speed sensor to one of my wheels

Any thoughts

The cheap kits available atm will prob mean you'll fit and forget as speed sensing isnt available
Saying that its always handy to adjust feel with a twiddle of your knob :thumbs:

Mine has an on/off switch inside where I can reach it - applications are :

dry circuit = on
wet circuit = off
long straights on m-ways etc = off
roundabouts and parking, slow manouvers = on

Also saves the pump from excessive wear and electric drain on the engine.....but I have a more powerful alternator than a 280ZX one as well.

Fitting PAS on a 240Z .................. people should be lined up and shot for even thinking of doing it...............:smash:

Fitting PAS on a 240Z .................. people should be lined up and shot for even thinking of doing it...............:smash:

C'mon Sean you be the first, it was prob your idea in the first place.:lol::lol:AND you are prob one of those people that has a following.:lol::lol:so the rest have followed like sheep.:D

Aint no sheep here - too many dodgy blokes from Derbyshire and Huddersfield have scared them off !

If you haven't tried it - don't knock it. Look at what people are doing with Zs now that wasn't thought or heard of 10 years ago.

And, I'm not trying to convert you - if people are interested, have a good kit already tried and tested and enjoy.

ps People fitting 16" rims and bigger with low-profile tyres and horrendous deep-front spoilers and carpeted trans. tunnels should also be shot........christ, next we'll all be driving around on original rims too to keep the 'period' feel of the car - go away and buy an MGC if you want a handful !

Back