Power steering conversion

dazzibazz

Well-Known Forum User
Im on with Installing a 318 BMW power rack on my 260z Im wondering if anyone has done this any help eg track rod ends ??? would be good :thumbs:

I take it no one has undertaken this conversion due to the lack of replies !! well the crossmember is modified the rack is mounted steering column modified and connected only thing to do know is get some 120 mm tie rod ends m14 1.5 thread right hand thread if anyones got any ideas or it will be trial and error photos in my album will update them soon as its complete.

No idea about the rod ends I'm afraid - but which 318 rack are you using?

There is a banned member on this forum that I’ve been speaking to about power steering.
He’s been helpful but not everyone likes his big mouth or when he’s on a mission to wind people up lol.

Due to the engine I’m planning to install, I’ve got to remove it’s power steering pump to allow for the steering column to the rack. Therefore I’m on the task to cut the steering column inside the cabin underneath the dash and retrofit electric steering onto it.

Although a friend in London has an old camper van, which is proving too heavy for his GF to steer, so he’s going to be going through the same process in the summer.

It allows to keep the same running gear in the bay. Problem is, it’s not like what the budgie say, ‘Cheep’.

cut about an inch off each end and its either Subaru or Toyota celica ends, if I remember I,ll have a look at my E46 conversion

I’m on the task to cut the steering column inside the cabin underneath the dash and retrofit electric steering onto it.
It allows to keep the same running gear in the bay. Problem is, it’s not like what the budgie say, ‘Cheep’.

That depends if you can weld and do it yourself ?
As a guess i'd say now from a couple of hundred quid or so should see you with a working power column in your Z now
More if you need to pay someone to build one for you
Can't say I have any probs with mine and that was home built :thumbs:

Therefore I’m on the task to cut the steering column inside the cabin underneath the dash and retrofit electric steering onto it.

it allows to keep the same running gear in the bay. Problem is, it’s not like what the budgie say, ‘Cheep’.

I have electric power steering fitted to my 240z it was all purchased from Dave Jarman i have also seen a full kit on ebay.com in USA $1695.00 & $300.00 shipping + VAT when it all lands.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand it would be easier, Just more why? I guess it removes a bit of feel and depending on what rack/how its done it can change the character of the car too?

My electric system works with a speed sensor so at very low speeds it give 100% the faster you go the more it backs off, it's all totally hidden from view and can be switched off if you want & it also uses the standard rack.

Last edited by a moderator:
My electric system works with a speed sensor so at very low speeds it give 100% the faster you go the more it backs off, it's all totally hidden from view and can be switched off if you want & it also uses the standard rack.

That sounds like a nice way of doing things. Does it use a vauxhall corsa electric jobbie?

Back