Postage on items from BRE in the USA

Garaculas

Club Member
Looking to buy one of the wider and taller (brock design) spoilers from BRE in the USA and sadly it turns out that when you add postage to the UK it doubles the price of the spoiler...

I don’t suppose anyone has a regular shipment from the US that I can get in on, know of a cheaper postage method or even a UK supplier?

Failing that it’s a £70 fee to take skis on a regular flight if someone has a ski bag? :EXTRArolleyes:

uk66fastback

Club Member
There's a guy called Ron Fenton who brings things in every month (or most months) from the US in a container - lots of parts and cars. He brough over my Z and brought over gearboxes and suspension parts for my Mustang many years ago.

His company is STS Imports and they are based near Chelmsford. They won't save you anything on the duty and VAT obviously but the actual shipping, if you can get the supplier to deliver post free in the lower 48 states which a lot of them do, will be a lot cheaper. He used to ship from Florida but now ships frm Torrance, CA. At least that is where the parts should be delivered to. Check on his website.

Comes highly recommended.

https://www.stsimports.co.uk

Garaculas

Club Member
I have had to pay for shipping when I ordered items from BRE....maybe $20 or so for a spoiler???

See, this was what i was expecting but they said shipping cost before their trade discount is $498.53. With the discount the shipping cost would be $149.88...

richiep

Club Member
$500 shipping???!!!! For a rear spoiler???

In general, US international shipping takes the utter piss in price terms these days. Shipping often vastly exceeds the value of the item. This is why I buy smaller parts and have them sent to my brother-in-law in Massachusetts. I then stuff our luggage with them when we come back from our yearly summer visit. Although in 2018 I brought back a huge box in checked luggage with a rear spoiler, front airdam, front steel valance, and numerous other parts and didn't pay a penny in excess baggage! Walked through customs carrying about a grand of stuff!

It's actually becoming more competitive to buy from Japan than the US now. The latter is no longer a "cheap" country - and the drop in the pound/dollar rate is only a part of the story.

Quick example: last year, my wife forgot to pack one of her asthma inhalers when we went to the States. In the end she had a friend ship it by courier, which cost £10. As a comparison, she priced up what it would cost to send the same item the other way, i.e. US to UK... £70.

Not exactly great for international competitiveness.