Petrol tank replacement

MikeB

Well-Known Forum User
Folks

The fumes in my garage suggest that my ageing petrol tank has reached the point where it finally needs replaced. Luckily I got a spare tank with the car and fingers crossed it is in fact a 240 tank ;)

I suspect that the rubber coupler between the tank and the fill pipe may need replaced, is this available or is there a suitable alternative?

Secondly, are there rubber strips between the tank and the two straps that secure it to the shell, and are these available?

Can you see signs of petrol around the tank?

Before you change the tank check the supply and return pipes especially in the area above the diff. I have had split rubbers hose and corroded metal pipes where they pass through the rubber clamp.

Also there is a vent pipe behind the rearmost boot trim panel that can perish - had that too.

Rob

Thanks for the tips, certainly had quite a fast drip from the top of the tank on the filler side towards the rear, hence thoughts re the connector to the filler pipe. I had filled the tank to the brim in preparation for a 200 mile trip and ended up draining 3 galls out before it stopped dripping. I suspect I am going to have to drop the tank no matter what. Will have a closer look over the next few days.

Rob

Thanks for the tips, certainly had quite a fast drip from the top of the tank on the filler side towards the rear, hence thoughts re the connector to the filler pipe. I had filled the tank to the brim in preparation for a 200 mile trip and ended up draining 3 galls out before it stopped dripping. I suspect I am going to have to drop the tank no matter what. Will have a closer look over the next few days.

Ok it probably is the tank but I had that symptom when my breather pipe was perished - still a tank-out job that though.

I just bought some rubber the correct width and glued it onto the metal tank straps.

Back