Offset frustrations

Wally

Club Member
I'm going to be using the Marugen Shoukai ZG flares on my car and I'm getting really frusted with what offset wheels to use. Lots of conflicting info. The flares add around 3cm to each side of the car.
https://www.rhdjapan.com/marugen-sh...Q-Ge8DG9FJSLQRNHJ9HbxnSkWgg6CEEeHThZjheFvI2Ag

These are the wheels I'm after in 16x8 and I'll be more than likely using 235/50 tyres.

https://www.autoextreme.co.uk/japan-racing-jr19-16x8-et-20-0-blank-matt-bronze.html

I don't want any issues with the tyres scrubbing the arches but I also don't want them sticking in so much they look wrong. I'm really not wanting to use spacers so want to get this right first time.

Watanabe recommend et -6 on the front and -19 on the rear. Loads of others recommend everything upto -30. Et -30 is seeming more appropriate as you use et 0 for filling standard arches and the flares I'm planning on using add 30mm to each side.

Any help or pictures would be appreciated.

atomman

Club Member
From my experience on my last Z with flares , I had 8 ET0 on the front with a 205 50 15 (but i ran a spacer behind it) , and 9 ET0 with 225 50 15's on the rear ET0 with another spacer , before that i ran banded 15" steels 9's & 10's with smaller spacers,

people usually use a 8 or 9 on the front , and 9 or 10 , 10-1/2 on the rear, Tyre choice obviously makes a different to but I know Tony has 10 1/2 all round though ,

I'd just measure your car with the arches and go from there, there are so many different set ups out there

DSC_0029.JPG DSC_0055.JPG

Wally

Club Member
Thanks for the info Gary. I've just trawled thousands of pictures and threads on various sites this morning and I think I've come to a decision.

Unfortunately the shell is away at the minute and I don't have the hubs I'd be using to do accurate measurements.

Realising I'm going to have fully adjustable control arms and camber plates I will have width adjustment so if the offset is slightly off I'll have a bit of wiggle room. I'm going to order -13 for the front and -19 for the rear.

I'll update this with pictures on how they fit for anyone else researching it.

Thanks for the info Gary. I've just trawled thousands of pictures and threads on various sites this morning and I think I've come to a decision.

Unfortunately the shell is away at the minute and I don't have the hubs I'd be using to do accurate measurements.

Realising I'm going to have fully adjustable control arms and camber plates I will have width adjustment so if the offset is slightly off I'll have a bit of wiggle room. I'm going to order -13 for the front and -19 for the rear.

how wide are the tyres and what profile as that'll change the 'look'

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Do any of you guys get a clearance problem with the front valance? I've had it where the tyre rubs on the valance on lock.

racer

Club Member
785B6922-F0F2-4C0E-B776-5B3E451E82CF.jpeg D5D4428C-9E18-4053-B7F2-89CB547932AA.jpeg 92A71E74-2F7A-475A-8E7B-1EB34C831BE5.jpeg A9EAD90F-10FC-4CD6-8C47-799A682E2F93.jpeg CE1B0C0A-F600-4189-8B7C-70386D4E6F7B.jpeg

So mine are a 16x9 JR19 with a -25 offset if I remember correctly. The tyres are 245/45 888r.

racer

Club Member
Rob. Yes you will if your running plenty of caster witch is desirable. I had to trim back by front spoiler quite a bit.

Wally

Club Member
So mine are a 16x9 JR19 with a -25 offset if I remember correctly. The tyres are 245/45 888r.

Thanks for the pictures and information racer. I think I'm in and around the right offsets. Your car looks great. How have you found the JR wheels? You had any issues with them?

Just been looking at tyres for 16x8 and the choice is very limited. 15x8 actually seems a little better.

Mark N

Club Member

This is a view of an 17x9.5J RKR with an offset of -19 and 275/35 R17 tyres.
IMG-0236.JPG
If you run an 8" wheel with -19 offset, it will be 19mm further in.
My gold 280Z has 15x9 et -15 RKRs all round and needs a 5mm spacer on each.
If you are fitting flares, why not maximize your wheel and tyre size, especially in the rear given your engine choice?

datsfun

Club Member
Fitment is dictated by
1. Ride height
2. Tyre width and profiles availabl
3. The look you are after - wheels tucked in arches, stretch tyres, meaty tyres etc

This is Tony Lamb's Zed with Atara Pisang 15x10.5 ET-32 all round. Tyres are 235/45 TOYO and I believe he is running the wider ZG flares. ( so 3" at a guess)

FB_IMG_1586019058435.jpg FB_IMG_1586019046908.jpg

Wally

Club Member
This is a view of an 17x9.5J RKR with an offset of -19 and 275/35 R17 tyres.
View attachment 37636
If you run an 8" wheel with -19 offset, it will be 19mm further in.
My gold 280Z has 15x9 et -15 RKRs all round and needs a 5mm spacer on each.
If you are fitting flares, why not maximize your wheel and tyre size, especially in the rear given your engine choice?

I'm wanting to keep a square setup with the tyres to keep balanced handling as the 240z is near enough 50/50 weight distribution. I think 235 tyres all around will be plenty for the 300hp ish I'll be running. I'm leaving the rb fairly standard power wise. For now.

I am tempted to go to 15x8 wheels as there seems to be a slightly better choice of tyres. The wheels come in a maximum of et -20 so I'm tempted to have that on all 4 corners. If its out slightly I should be able to adjust with the LCAs.

Thanks for your info. Just been digging through your rb26 build. How you getting on with it?

Mark N

Club Member
I'm wanting to keep a square setup with the tyres to keep balanced handling as the 240z is near enough 50/50 weight distribution. I think 235 tyres all around will be plenty for the 300hp ish I'll be running. I'm leaving the rb fairly standard power wise. For now.

I am tempted to go to 15x8 wheels as there seems to be a slightly better choice of tyres. The wheels come in a maximum of et -20 so I'm tempted to have that on all 4 corners. If its out slightly I should be able to adjust with the LCAs.

Thanks for your info. Just been digging through your rb26 build. How you getting on with it?

The 260Z has been on hold for a while now, it has floor issues that will be getting resolved once the lockdown in Cyprus is over.
I have been concentrating on the gold 280Z, trying to get it finished and ready to sell.
I'm also in the middle of moving to Bulgaria, so I've also had a change of direction with the RB project.
I'll be keeping the L28 in the 260Z and will fit the RB into my second 280Z, which has just landed in Bulgaria.

datsfun

Club Member
I think 235 tyres all around will be plenty for the 300hp ish I'll be running. I'm leaving the rb fairly standard power wise. For now.

I am tempted to go to 15x8 wheels as there seems to be a slightly better choice of tyres. The wheels come in a maximum of et -20 so I'm tempted to have that on all 4 corners.

15x8 and 235 profile tyre is going to look wrong IMHO:p:D...like a drag car with thin wheels and mahoosive rubber.

But then again I could be wrong :rolleyes:

Wally

Club Member
15x8 and 235 profile tyre is going to look wrong IMHO:p:D...like a drag car with thin wheels and mahoosive rubber.

But then again I could be wrong :rolleyes:

Just done the sums and yes I think you're right. 8inch would be 203mm across so a 235 tyre would overhang. Maybe a 9 or 9.5 would be better? 229 and 241mm across.

johnymd

Club Member
As Rob says, with a lower car the wider tyres car catch the front valance. The 205’s on my 8x15et0 on the ratty car touched the factory metalwork and require minor adjust to clear. That’s with factory castor.

RyanT

Forum User
16x8 ET0 & 225/50/16 on mine which to me seems right on the limit to what you can run on stock arches without any negatives.

Attachments

• 517E79F0-BA28-47D9-AD41-709E512935C2.jpeg
    517E79F0-BA28-47D9-AD41-709E512935C2.jpeg
    332.3 KB · Views: 31