Off for its bare metal respray

gturner008

Well-Known Forum User
Won't see the car for a coule of months. Garage will take photos throughout the process.

I'm serious excited about what it's going to look like when completed.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    808.7 KB · Views: 123

Pete

Well-Known Forum User
Is that the factory paint that it's in just now, is there a problem with it?

gturner008

Well-Known Forum User
It's not factory, but correct colour. I understand from Australian owner (just two owners - first in Sydney 71 - 90, then brother who owned it in Melboune from 90 to 2013) that it had a cheap respray in 2000 - 15 years ago. While the car is rust free - totally - with great body condition, the paint has a lot of micro blistering. Only way to be 100% sure it won't happen again is to get it back to bare metal.

I did think about just machine polishing it, but it's not doing justice to the car. Hence the trip to the paint shop in Coventry.

I can highly recommend the place I take my cars to in Earlsdon. He will do a great job on it.

Red7

Well-Known Forum User
It's not factory, but correct colour. I understand from Australian owner (just two owners - first in Sydney 71 - 90, then brother who owned it in Melboune from 90 to 2013) that it had a cheap respray in 2000 - 15 years ago. While the car is rust free - totally - with great body condition, the paint has a lot of micro blistering. Only way to be 100% sure it won't happen again is to get it back to bare metal.

I did think about just machine polishing it, but it's not doing justice to the car. Hence the trip to the paint shop in Coventry.

I can highly recommend the place I take my cars to in Earlsdon. He will do a great job on it.

Mine was painted in 2011/12 and from 5ft away looks ace, I did machine polish it for the NEC display, but looking into the coating it's rubbish, micro blisters like yours, so mines booked in in March for a month, I'm going to follow this thread closely :thumbs: is yours 918 Orange the same as mine?

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
It's a great colour for a z. Looking forward to seeing the finished result. Can I be cheeky and ask what such a job costs? Don't worry if you don't want to say. Would just be interested that's all. You can PM me if you don't want to go public!

gturner008

Well-Known Forum User
I'm defo going solid - not base and clear. I want it to look original. I'll certainly post up photo journey. Gary

gturner008

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Sean

Budget is around the £5k to £7k. I'm hopeful it'll be the lower end of the scale.

Until the paint's off you can never be sure what's needed.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Sean

Budget is around the £5k to £7k. I'm hopeful it'll be the lower end of the scale.

Until the paint's off you can never be sure what's needed.

Thanks for the frankness - I hope so too for your sake and at least you are going in eyes wide open and realist - obviously what counts is getting it right for the cars' longterm sake.

Cheers.

gturner008

Well-Known Forum User
That's right Sean. I've already invested around £1.5k on wax oiling and having stone chip applied to vulnerable areas on the underside (carried out by Fourways). I really want to make the most of the non-rusty nature of the car. Keep as much as possible 'unrestored' - which is what I liked about this particular car.

As someone once said - you only get an original car once!

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Micro blistering is usually moisture trapped in the paint, so hopefully it won't have caused any damage to the metal work.

gturner008

Well-Known Forum User
That's my hope and expectation. Paint shop gives 5 year guarantee if then bare metal it. I'm pretty confident it'll be fine under the blisters.