Newbie My 240Z Samuri.

Mike Robertson

Forum User
Hi all, Thought it was about time i said hello, been browsin the site for a while now and been finding it really usefull i am and have been the owner of a 240z Sam for the past 10yrs. Sorry wee copy and paste effort to follow.
(PGW 191L) Bought by myself 1995
Blue/Silver colour scheme. One of only two known to have been done.

Car has Never been restored and is still in original condition as per photos.

Full series of M.O.T certs currently 44000 miles with history.

Car first UK Registered March 1973. Official build date between September 1971 and June 1972 (Nissan records).

Converted by Spike Anderson. Car subject of club article Summer 1990 whilst owned by Peter Hill.

Valued & recognised April 1991 by Mike Feeney as original Samuri.

The car lives in Scotland and is in regular summer use mainly tours etc up the central belt & West coast, with occasional company from Malcolm Yule.

The Z magazine article was unfortunately recently lifted and used to advertise a restoration company, who claimed to be restoring the car, this has now been corrected and the car is not being restored or to be restored as advertised certainly not by this company!!!!

No recent mods etc. Replacement Poly suspension bushes suspension exhaust etc, all in keeping replacement exhaust with long centre pipe manifold remade by Janspeed using original tooling!

Hope the pics work, Opinions always welcome. :)
Happy xmas

Mike.

DSC00100.jpg

DSC00098.jpg

DSC01619.jpg

Thanks for sharing the pics, she looks great. I like the two tone colour combo and the striping on the bonnet, nice subtle samuri lettering too.

Are you coming to any ZClub Drag Race meetings, would be great to see her on the strip or if not, then at Billing!

How much resto work needs doing?

And post more photos please :)

Hi,

Where are you based? Would be nice if you could make it to Santa pod.

Also more photos in the gallery please :)

Can I ask, I'm looking to get a Janspeed exhaust made up same as yours as I have an original Janspeed manifold anyway. Are you happy with the exhaust (know you've only had the car 10 days) and is the quality alright? I guess everything including the welds are stainless on it?

Anyway nice looking car, enjoy :)

Russ said:
Hi,

(know you've only had the car 10 days)
to many late nights working on the clubs site has fuddled your brain and eyesite:p
10 years and not 10 days:rolleyes:

Now stop posting on here and get back to work on the little surprise of the silver Zs:devil: :D

WOW - what a beautiful looking car. l like that alot. I'd love to see more pictures.

Mike Robertson said:
Car first UK Registered March 1973. Official build date between September 1971 and June 1972 (Nissan records).
Sorry to nitpick, but "....between September 1971 and June 1972...." is a bit wide ( 10 months! ) for an "official build date", don't you think?

Exactly what "Nissan records" did that time period come from? It wasn't Nissan UK was it? I have TWO cars that Nissan UK don't even recognise the Factory build codes for ( :eek: :confused: :)) so I wouldn't rely on them for accurate info if I were you.

And what was it doing between the time it arrived in the UK ( perhaps around a couple or three months after it was built ) and being registered in the UK in March 1973? Again a big gap.

I see some details on the car which make me believe it is younger than you think - and I'd wager it was built much later than you have been told. What's the chassis number? I reckon I can give you a much more accurate time frame for a likely build date.

:)

Z Club magazine cover picture Summer 1990 (pictured outside my old house in Laindon!). No article inside though, just a note that Peter Hill was a new member at that time. The car also won "Feature Car of the Year 1990" as voted for by Z Club members at the time - announcement in Autumn 1991 with a little B & W photo by Colin Shipway when the Sam was at an Enfield Pageant meet. It pushed RatZ into second place!

Very nice Mike, in my opinion the only thing I dont like is the rear number plate much too large, a square one would be much better suited, but as its an L reg you could put black and silver plates like I have on my Samuri, much more subtle.
regards Adrian

Stunning car mate. I'm a Z32 man through and through but I've always had a huge soft spot for the 240Z. Give it a year or two and I reckon I'll be after one myself! ;)

Yes lovely car and very 'period' which is its appeal to me, complete with dented spoiler. Is that your house in the background, if so that's not bad either!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys Happy Xmas. will answer as many as poss!!
Hmm Santa Pod, Long way for me! not that that is reason not to come,sat there at the championships last year AWESOME 1.5 on the richter scale. We'll see.
Russ you ask about my exhaust,Jan Odor (Janspeed) will make one simply 240z 3" stainless,however you need to sweet heart them into making it without the Front box (Silencer) who needs it anyway.The fit is perfect mine is ten years old now & no rot at all (Stainless & all that) the seams are all excellent too. Sounds magis 3k and over.
Albrecht, you ask about the vin No's etc The letter I received from Nissan Uk simply stated the approximate date the car was manufactured.If you write to them they are really helpfull (or were a few years back!) Nissan Gb Rickmansworth Herts .
My Vin no is HS301 1704.
Datsun Dave, Yup I don't know the bloke but Malcolm Yule tells me he bumped into him down south at a meeting.I knew she still existed tho.Not sure how !!Love to know a bit about her compare notes etc!
Yup Rob I need to persuade the local council to lower the cerb heights up here! fat chance Eh.I actually live in the garden!
My son is responsible for the pics,he is a likeminded car nut! Thanks guys. Mike

Lovely looking 240 that!!

makes me want one even more than i already do now, if thats possable!! :D

Mike Robertson said:
Albrecht, you ask about the vin No's etc The letter I received from Nissan Uk simply stated the approximate date the car was manufactured.If you write to them they are really helpfull (or were a few years back!) Nissan Gb Rickmansworth Herts .
I hope you didn't miss my ( admittedly nitpicky ) point. I meant that as an "official" ( your quote ) date of manufacture "....between September 1971 and June 1972...." is about as wide as the proverbial barn door.......

In my personal experience, the staff at Rickmansworth seem to know very little about these cars.

Mike Robertson said:
My Vin no is HS301 1704.
If that is 'HS30-11704' then I can tell you FOR SURE that it was NOT built in 1971. Nissan Japan's records for the 'HS30' VIN-prefixed cars show that 'HS30-10436' was the last HS30 built in 1971.

Unless of course you actually have 'HS30-101704'?

Back