New to the forum, 1972 owner

Nick Moss

Forum User
Hi

I bought the silver 1972 LHD 240Z at the Duxford auction back in April. I probably paid too much, despite bidding way below the reserve. The car is very original and unspoilt, having had just one recent respray. I will be keeping it as original as possible, even the hub caps! I need a right hand door mirror if anyone has one.

13081761_10153654498531733_1505885225_n.jpg

I restore Porsches for a living and recognise a couple of user names on here from the best early 911 forum, DDK.

MikeB

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Nick

Welcome to the forum, look forward to hearing more about your car, like DDK there's a few characters on here, enjoy ;)

Red7

Well-Known Forum User
Hi and welcome along, car looks great, I'm a fan of the original hubcaps and wheels, that said I've just taken mine off and put my slots back on for the summer, I put a Right hand door mirror on mine but I don't use it tbh, I think there's enough glass around to see what's what, I'll probably remove it when I get the car re-painted over the winter.

johnymd

Club Member
Welcome to the forum and zed ownership.

They don't make a right hand wing mirror unfortunately. Some us the left one but it does point at a different angle so looks a little odd if you view the car head on.

Having recently bought an '81 911 project, i'll have to check out DDK.

Nick Moss

Forum User
Hi Mike

Thanks for the welcome.

The Z is a one US owner car that was imported to the UK a couple of years ago and repainted (pretty well) here. 38K miles, which appears to be correct judging by the overall condition of the car. It has obviously had little use recently, which has manifested in a blocked fuel filter and rapidly seizing rear dampers. I shall be calling MJP for a new set on Tuesday.

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Nick

You know me, but you might not know it?

Welcome you old car nut.

Give me a shout if you're up my way....we can compare notes

Lee (of etype and 911 fame) amongst a host of othe stuff

Nick Moss

Forum User
Hello and welcome.:)

First question springs to mind - why buy a 240Z then ?
I was driven in one way back in the early 70s, followed them in rallying and have always lusted after one. I was at Duxford bidding on motorbikes when I spotted this in the corner, due for auction the next day.

This is a driver, not a restoration project. There are a couple of old Range Rover Classics and a Gp 2 BMW rally car in the barn as well, making quite an eclectic collection.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
If it's a driver, I would suggest what Red7 does - fit different rims and keep safe the OEM hubcaps for special show-days.

Welcome - Zs do appear today to be a lustful, coveted car rather than one that people buy out of opportunity.

Nick Moss

Forum User
If it's a driver, I would suggest what Red7 does - fit different rims and keep safe the OEM hubcaps for special show-days.

Welcome - Zs do appear today to be a lustful, coveted car rather than one that people buy out of opportunity.
You are probably right, they do look good on Minilites don't they?

uk66fastback

Club Member
Hi and welcome, mine is similar to yours, one owner US car although yours looks in better condition and mine had a US paint job, more's the pity ...

Love the red interior on your one.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hi Nick, yes I liked your car when I first saw pics of it a while back. I have an original car too (RHD) and on steels and hubcaps.

I was out in it yesterday.

Welcome to the Forum.

datsfun

Club Member
Welcome Nick. That looks like a very tidy example.

Maybe a question for another day, now that you have experienced both the early 911 and the s30 (240z), which do you prefer and why?

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
Easy

Though for me different cars for different moods.

A beautifully set up and sorted early 911 is in a league of it's own IMO