New member JDM 240z

nicos7358

Club Member
Hi, I've loved 240Zs' since I was a kid, I've waited for the right car and have just bought a 73 jdm 240z with vin prefix S301.
I have to register it and need to determine the meaning/age etc for uk registration.
Can anyone help.
I'll also be going to crystal palace Motorsport event and wondered if there will be a z presence there.
Nick

tel240z

Club Member
Nick they all start with S30

to answer your question we need a few more details

Do you have a registration doc (any country)

A customs import doc

MOT cert

Tel

nicos7358

Club Member
Thanks for the reply tel.
I have the reg doc but no customs doc, we drove straight through customs , please don't say that's essential for uk registration..
My research suggested that S30 denotes JDM market not uk spec and uk started HS30.
Mot will be done next week.
My first job is registration. Has anyone any tips

you do need the customs paperwork to show all duty has been paid. An Mot, A dating letter, I think thats it?

I think your full chassis number will tell everyone more.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
My research suggested that S30 denotes JDM market not uk spec and uk started HS30.

Yes, 'S30' prefix denotes a Japanese domestic market model. Either S30-S 'Fairlady Z-L' model or S30 'Fairlady Z' model ( both shared the 'S30' chassis prefix and the same body serial number sequence ). The only way to tell the difference between the two is to look at the spec and details of the individual car, unless you have the original Japanese bill of sale. The Z-L is the 'Deluxe' version, and the Z is the 'Standard' version ( more basic ). Both were fitted with the same L20A engine.

The Japanese market did get 'HS30' prefixed models ( 'Fairlady 240Z', 'Fairlady 240Z-L' and 'Fairlady 240ZG' ) which all had L24 engines, and were made/sold from late 1971 until the end of 1973.

'PS30' ( 'Fairlady Z432' and 'Fairlady Z432-R' ) was the prefix used on Japanese market models with the S20 twin cam engine.

The Japanese market also got 'RS30' prefixed 'Fairlady 260Z' models for a very short period, but these were all recalled and re-engined.

'2/2' models got the 'GS30' prefix, and when new emissions and safety standards were phased in the S30-series Z was given an updated 'S31' chassis prefix ( 'S31' two seater and 'GS31' 2/2 models ).

Registration process for the UK will depend on where it arrived from and where it was registered previously.

Make sure you date the production period of the car correctly ( evidence is all over the car ) and watch out that the DVLA don't mis-identify the car and/or give you an inappropriate registration. The car should be correctly identified, dated and given the correct age-related number.

Please watch out for rogue information / opinion on these cars, as there's a lot of it about. In my opinion ( some disagree ) you would be well advised to take ownership of the car as a 'Fairlady Z' or 'Fairlady Z-L', be proud of it being a 'Fairlady', and refrain from calling it a "Japanese 240Z". If other people don't understand it, then it's their problem and not yours ( or the car's.... ). :)

Good luck.

racer

Club Member
Welcome Nick!
As you can see some guys here with real knowledge of the cars. We would love to see some pictures of your car.
Please check the calender for up and coming events. Lots happening in May, It would be great to see your car at some of these meetings.

nicos7358

Club Member
Thanks to all.
Is it appropriate to share the vin details , I'll gladly do that if that's the case.
It is a fairlady for sure , it's vin is only s30 but I have very limited paperwork.
HM customs have been informed so I will wait for the confirmation from them and then do DVLA.
Is there a nissan contact who can verify the date of manufacture etc.
It has a 2.4 motor with triple 40's , 6 branch and 5 speed . Only showing 80000 kilometres and is original inside etc. I'll try and work out how to post pictures.
Nick

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
might be a good ideat to go to your local DVLA office and ask them what you need,
MOT,insurance ,reg doc but I am not sure about customs doc as I presume it is a euro import and you have already said it is a 73,what does it say on the reg doc ?

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
as a general rule Nissan will only confirm the age if you have some proof to back it up

nicos7358

Club Member
I'll ring Nissan uk Monday and see what they can tell me.
Once registered I'll join the club fully.
I will be going to crystal palace Motorsport event , I believe the owner of fourways engineering enters the sprint normally so I'll contact him off forum.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I'll ring Nissan uk Monday and see what they can tell me.

They won't be able to tell you anything more than you can get by asking here.

I own three Japanese market S30-series Zs ( one of them a 1970 Fairlady Z-L ) and have a fairly good understanding of them and their peculiarities. I'd be pleased to help if I can.

There's dating information all over the car. Most of it is encoded in the manufacturing and quality control stampings on individual components. One of the easiest places to look for one is on the steering wheel hub ( if its the original steering wheel ), or on the individual parts of the interior mirror and its mounting base. Another good place is the ( white plastic ) tags on each individual section of the wiring loom. If you took any of the major gauges ( speedo, tach, ammeter etc ) out of the dash you would see dated QC stamps on the back of them. Usually the mfg and QC stamps are within just a few weeks of the car's 'birth'....

If it has an L24 engine ( and triple carbs etc ) then it has been modified. It would have left the factory with an L20A that was fitted with ( small ) twin HJG38 Hitachi 'SU' carbs.

Many of these Japanese market models ended up outside Japan through being purchased by US forces personnel who were stationed in Japan and then transferred to Europe / UK / USA. They got to bring a vehicle shipped gratis as part of their personal effects, and often left them in Europe or UK when they went back to the States. That's how two of my cars got here. I wonder if your car's was a similar story? A German base, perhaps?

nicos7538 said:
....I believe the owner of fourways engineering enters the sprint normally so I'll contact him off forum.

...and then he'll phone me to ask if I can identify it. :)

I don't think there's any risk in quoting the full chassis number here. You've got the car and it's fairly unusual, so little chance of anything bad coming of it.

nicos7358

Club Member
Thanks Albrecht. The car has come via Sweden then Czech republic.
Vin is S30103609. Not HS or HLS. When I was researching the car I was told S30 denoted jdm. It has many original or period aftermarket features that I will retain.
I thought the L24 motor was a mod and of course the gearbox.
How do I post a pic.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Vin is S30103609. Not HS or HLS. When I was researching the car I was told S30 denoted jdm.

'S30-103609' is indeed a 1973 production year body serial number.

'S30' prefix denoted either an 'S30-S' model 'Fairlady Z' ( 'Standard' / 'Std' - no frills - variant ) or an 'S30' model 'Fairlady Z-L' ( 'Deluxe' / 'DX' - all the bells and whistles - variant ), and two seater only. Production was 1969 through to the end of 1975, when they were replaced by 'S31' ( and 'GS31' ) models.

Should be pretty easy to tell if it was either a 'Std' model or a 'Deluxe' by the levels of stock equipment still present. The 5-speed transmission ( for 1973 an FS5C71-B ) was stock equipment on the Deluxe, whilst the Std model came with a four-speed unless the first owner paid more for the 5-speed. Auto trans was an extra-cost option on both variants.

Take a look around the car and see if you can see any QC and mfg date stamps. I think it will most likely be a mid to late 1973 car, and built before end of October 1973.

nicos7358

Club Member
Thanks again Albrecht.
I'll take a look.
It needs an oil seal on the gearbox tail shaft , if it's an original fitment hopefully that will make it easier to source.

nicos7358

Club Member
Here goes

http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums...DC89633-3987-0000031E6481B939_zpse8dd4f54.jpg
2358D632-79D7-4B8D-9CAA-C40E5DC89633-3987-0000031E6481B939_zpse8dd4f54.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

richiep

Club Member
Nice car - that's the car that was listed in recent months on classiccarsforsale.co.uk from Germany. You should get the proper JDM wing mirrors though, rather than the aftermarket ones fitted (those with the holes in the bases). And as Albrecht says, embrace the Fairlady Z identity - replace those "Datsun" wing emblems with the correct "Fairlady Z" ones!:)

Moggy, in my experience, the wing mirrors work very well, better than the old bullet door mirrors my car had fitted when I originally bought it.