My First Z | The Z Club of Great Britain
  1. The Z Club relies on the support of it's paid members - join the club or renew your membership here.

My First Z

Discussion in 'New to the website!' started by RawlinSTR, Oct 7, 2018.

1. RawlinSTR

RawlinSTR New Forum User

Hi all,

Been a long time Z fan and around this time last year I ended up somewhat accidentally winning an eBay auction for a friend's '73 240Z from California.

It was an exciting process getting it shipped over.

The car has a lot of nice bits on it since the owner went through the process of setting it up for track use over there. In fact it's been driven on Buttonwillow, Willow Springs, Laguna Seca and Sonoma Raceway to name a few.

It was sold with the numbers matching block with no internals, and a N42 head with lots of bits missing, so I decided to try and find a complete L-series engine here to put in instead. Progress has been very slow with that though, and the engine I bought (L26 with round top SU's and a 5spd) is currently in bits since I'm doing all the gaskets and things like that before I put it in.

Anyway, here are some pictures from the listing and some pictures of it over here as well:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm currently living in Northampton so if there's any Z owners nearby please get in touch, it'd be good to hear from you.

Simon

Albrecht, atomman and Woody928 like this.
  2. Albrecht

Albrecht Well-Known Forum User

Eric's?

RawlinSTR likes this.
  3. Jake RAH

Jake RAH
    Z Club Member

No pics showing :(
    I'm over near Daventry so close to you. We also have a few more members near by.

:driving:

RawlinSTR likes this.
  4. jonbills

jonbills
    ZClub Administrator
    Staff Member Committee Member

Welcome. Looks like you've got some very nice bits on it there.

RawlinSTR likes this.
  5. Woody928

Woody928
    Z Club Member

:cool: I really, really like this!

Looks like a mega shell with some serious upgrades and goodies already fitted! You're going to have lots of fun with that once its got and engine and gearbox back in and on the road :D Have you thought about colour coding the engine bay while you've got the engine out? Would look much nicer on such a clean car. Looking forward to following this build!

RawlinSTR likes this.
  6. RawlinSTR

RawlinSTR New Forum User

Yep ;)

Strange, they're embedded via Flickr. :conf2: Nice one, that's pretty nearby.

Thanks! I got pretty lucky with what it's already got.

Thanks! The shell is great other than a bit of rust at the bottom of both doors, and a small dent in the rear. I'm desperate to get it running and driving haha. The photos make the paint look a lot better than it actually is - there's very little lacquer left since it sat in the California sun for a long time, and there's lots of little chips and dings. HOWEVER, I made the mistake of making my last car (classic mini) absolutely spotless and from that point on it felt too fragile to drive, so I'm actually happy that this one has some scars... I want to be able to really drive it and not worry. So in answer to your question, I think I'll leave the bay as it is... for now :coolgleam:

7. Albrecht

Albrecht Well-Known Forum User

Great! Eric's a friend of mine too. Have met him both in London and Tokyo. Very cool guy.

Love that car. Some really nice parts on it too. Excellent purchase! Well done!

RawlinSTR likes this.
  8. RawlinSTR

RawlinSTR New Forum User

He's an incredibly nice guy, I've met him twice whilst out in California, and he's even taken me out in his Hako. He also had his Patrol one of the times I visited and we went down the LA River in it:

[​IMG]

Thank you, I'm a happy man!

atomman likes this.
  9. Woody928

Woody928
    Z Club Member

Sounds fairly clean, possibly explains the black at the bottom of the LH door. Meh, we all know the blemishes on our own cars...

In all honesty it sounds like its in the perfect condition to just be used and enjoyed with some wax oil applied to protect the underside! Itobviously has lots of character and a story behind it, my favourite sort of build. Much prefer cars like these to fresh resto's that don't ever see the light of day! Good for you :thumbs:

RawlinSTR likes this.