Mild stroker built for the road

johnymd

Club Member
My new engine build is now complete and I picked it up this week. I’ve been very happy with the engine builder and he has put a lot of effort into building it right. I now need to get it built up and ready to go on the engine dyno in a couple of weeks. The basic spec of this engine is a 3.0lt with diesel crank, 240 rods, n42 head, .5” lift cam and 11.45CR. I will try and get a better full spec when I can remember all the bits I bought. This was built as a road car engine with priority to mid range torque rather than high end hp.

Attachments

• 44AA3264-1A8E-435F-92B2-27F3EFDB7D93.jpeg
    44AA3264-1A8E-435F-92B2-27F3EFDB7D93.jpeg
    206.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 7A7BCE90-8370-4675-8261-5C1CB7E56E2B.jpeg
    7A7BCE90-8370-4675-8261-5C1CB7E56E2B.jpeg
    414.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 541AB8B2-65F0-407B-9EE5-4C616AA27E54.jpeg
    541AB8B2-65F0-407B-9EE5-4C616AA27E54.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 83
My new engine build is now complete and I picked it up this week. I’ve been very happy with the engine builder and he has put a lot of effort into building it right. I now need to get it built up and ready to go on the engine dyno in a couple of weeks. The basic spec of this engine is a 3.0lt with diesel crank, 240 rods, n42 head, .5” lift cam and 11.45CR. I will try and get a better full spec when I can remember all the bits I bought. This was built as a road car engine with priority to mid range torque rather than high end hp.

Looks tidy from the outside. Glad to see my crank getting some use :smoke:

johnymd

Club Member
He did have to do a lot more than he expected as he didn't start with a complete engine and I didn't give him lots of little parts I forgot about. From the discussions we have had over the past few months I am very confident that its been built correctly. He only build race car engines and comes highly recommended for his attention to detail.

He did have to do a lot more than he expected as he didn't start with a complete engine and I didn't give him lots of little parts I forgot about. From the discussions we have had over the past few months I am very confident that its been built correctly. He only build race car engines and comes highly recommended for his attention to detail.

who did it?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Did he do some work on the chambers? I reckon standard n42 head will pink badly at that CR.

johnymd

Club Member
We discussed this a lot Jon and this is one of the reasons he wanted the piston further out of the block. We will have to see what happens on the dyno and one of the first thing we will do while the engine is being run in is get the knock threasholds and control setup. Will probably run a fuel additive and see how it goes. If knock control needs to take too much spark out then a thicker gasket may be the answer. It will be a good learning experience and one of the reasons to book an engine dyno for 2 days.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
That looks great, sounds a little bit more than ‘mild’ with the 0.5” lift cam. I’m interested to see how you get on with the compression too, I’ll go to 11:1 with mine, the big cam might let you away with the higher compression.
Good luck on the Dyno

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
It will be interesting to see how you get on. When I ran my E88 head at 11.2:1 and a 0.6 gasket it knocked a lot and taking timing out couldn't cure it completely.
Swapping to a 1.5mm gasket took the CR down to 10.9:1 but it still had a fair amount of knock because I'd lost the little Squish I had with the thin gasket.
But as Andrew mentions, it was quite a mild cam so you might do rather better.

johnymd

Club Member
It’s all a bit of a test. I could of gone very conservative but where’s the fun in that. Starting high will allow me to see exactly how much an n42 will take. The fast ecu should allow me to get the most from the engine without going past the limits.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
If you're coming to Northampton for the RR, will you let me know when?

johnymd

Club Member
The engine dyno is in mundon which is 10mins from my workshop.

A few l-series engines have been run there.

atomman

Club Member
Looks great John,

Are you gonna run the BMW throttle body's on this engine ? did you go bigger on the valve's ?

be good to see some number's from the dyno , I keep thinking sticking ITB's on mine

johnymd

Club Member
The n42 valves are big enough already IMO plus I don’t think you can go much bigger.

I’m planning on running GSX1300R throttle bodies, which will be working on tomorrow. The current TWM itb’s that I’m running stick at very low throttle angles so I’d like to swap them for the bike ones.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
John, on your bigger cam are u coming close to crushing the valve stem seals? Are u running standard seals or an alternative?