Left hand to right hand drive conversion

jackz432r

Forum User
Could somebody explain to me the finer points of a proper conversion from left to righthand drive conversion on a 240Z:
  • Which parts of a r/h drive car are required other than the obvious (dash/rack/pedals etc)?
  • What portion of the bulkhead is used for a proper conversion?
  • Are any other bodyshell parts required?
  • Is it morally acceptable or frowned upon to use the r/h drive cars identity for the finished article?
  • What is the consensus of opinion of what is more desirable in the uk; a properly executed conversion with a r/h drive identity or an original unmolested l/h drive car
Any comments are appreciated.

samuri-240

Well-Known Forum User
Could somebody explain to me the finer points of a proper conversion from left to righthand drive conversion on a 240Z:
  • Which parts of a r/h drive car are required other than the obvious (dash/rack/pedals etc)?
  • What portion of the bulkhead is used for a proper conversion?
  • Are any other bodyshell parts required?
  • Is it morally acceptable or frowned upon to use the r/h drive cars identity for the finished article?
  • What is the consensus of opinion of what is more desirable in the uk; a properly executed conversion with a r/h drive identity or an original unmolested l/h drive car

Wiring loom, rear lights, heater,head lamps.

Most of the bulkhead I believe.

Scuttle panel.

Frowned on, would prefer a car with its original identity, otherwise I guess it can be called a ringer just with uk plates & papers.

lhd converted to rhd with the cars original identity

Wyn

Club Member

Them orrid rear side markers :D

Indicator/ wiper switch arse about face

jackz432r

Forum User
What about the wiring loom?
And the bracketry on the inner wings (battery plinth and washer bottle mounting etc)

samuri-240

Well-Known Forum User
What about the wiring loom?
And the bracketry on the inner wings (battery plinth and washer bottle mounting etc)

They use the loom from a rhd car. Yes of course the battery & washer bottle have to be switched around also. Not sure but there are possibly some other bits & pieces we can't think of just now.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
If a car is converted properly then it should be safe and desirable in this country but the conversion should be known by the owner.

The term ringer in my mind (but not legally) really refers to a stolen car that has been given the identity of another to hide it's own, not to make it better to drive in the UK. However it will alter it's value upwards I would have thought if done well.

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User
It you change the identity of any car it's a ringer in my opinion, Call a spade a spade please.

You can hardly say that a car that's only original body part is the bulk head is not a ringer, If you tax an insure it under the bulk heads chassis number in my opinion you're breaking some law or other and should be taken to book, Such cars should be Q plates.

Rob

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Rob, I know what you are saying and technically you are right.

However I wonder how many British rot-boxes have little more than the size of a bulkhead from the original car :rolleyes: If you change the floors, inner wings, chassis legs, rear quarters, rad panels, rear panels, wings, doors, hatch, airtubes there is not much left apart from the bulkhead :devil:

Is a RHD convert doing the minimum (i.e. modifying the bulkhead) a better and legal option then. So you have a RHD car but the identity of a LHD car?

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User
Rob, I know what you are saying and technically you are right.

However I wonder how many British rot-boxes have little more than the size of a bulkhead from the original car :rolleyes: If you change the floors, inner wings, chassis legs, rear quarters, rad panels, rear panels, wings, doors, hatch, airtubes there is not much left apart from the bulkhead :devil:

Is a RHD convert doing the minimum (i.e. modifying the bulkhead) a better and legal option then. So you have a RHD car but the identity of a LHD car?

I see your point Rob but at least the car you started off with would be the original car and not something from another country, At least the chassis number actually came from the same car you started with. Your idea of giving the new bastard the US cars identity would be the better option in my opinion, after all it would make up nearly 90% of the total cars body shell.

Rob

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
It you change the identity of any car it's a ringer in my opinion, Call a spade a spade please.

You can hardly say that a car that's only original body part is the bulk head is not a ringer, If you tax an insure it under the bulk heads chassis number in my opinion you're breaking some law or other and should be taken to book, Such cars should be Q plates.

Rob

i hope your not having a flat cap moment !!!!!!!

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
there is no reason why you can not use the orginal US chassis number ,you do not need to use the whole bulkhead ,just use the steering brake panel,do not forget the back lights will need sorting unless you have a friendly MOT guy.
if you really want to do the conversion then Datsun Dave is the best man to speak to as he has done it and kept it simple or grow some balls and leave LHD !!!!!!!!!

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User
i hope your not having a flat cap moment !!!!!!!

Not at all buddy, Personally I don't care if it's 3 cars welded together as long as the person who owns it is happy :eek:, I just think we should call a spade a spade and not try and hide the fact it's a bastard car ;).

I'll leave the flat cap wearing to the other old boys on the forum :rolleyes:.

Rob

jackz432r

Forum User
My reason for starting this thread is not that I have a L/Hand drive car. It is because I have a R/Hand drive 240Z which I may be forced into breaking up for parts. I need to know which bits to keep if I go down this route. As I might consider a L/Hand drive car in the future as a cheaper route into Z ownership rather than restoration.:confused:

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
well if that is the case best keep the whole car untill you finish the conversion as you never know what you might need,you might get a lhd 240z with auto with a horrible red interior and a lazy diff and rubbish wheels and if you keep yours you will have all the parts to change.

otherwise you will need
rear lights
dash
heater box
heater blower
front wiring
headlights
battery tray
throttle linkage
pedal box
throttle pedal
scuttle panel
wiper assembly
steering rack
bulkhead/panel
wiper arms
bonnet pull
and proberly some other bits aswell

Zed-the-red

Well-Known Forum User
the last thing I want to see is another UK Z wearing the stars and stripes.. look how bad is the car? whats it need? If it needs a home then I am it. No car is beyond repair... unless it has a fookin sun roof apparently!!! If you need to see it go , then let me know..

I do take all Z's with or without a sun roof fitted..

samuri-240

Well-Known Forum User
the last thing I want to see is another UK Z wearing the stars and stripes.. look how bad is the car? whats it need? If it needs a home then I am it. No car is beyond repair... unless it has a fookin sun roof apparently!!! If you need to see it go , then let me know..

I do take all Z's with or without a sun roof fitted..

Sunroof or no sunroof most English Z's are fooked, stars & strips all the way for us lot that have been involved in the marque for in excess of 20 years I'm affraid my friend :thumbs: Ask anyone who has driven an import it is a totally different experience because the cars & chassis are straight & unmolested by bodgers :eek: :cool:

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
Don't know if anyone already mentioned it but the Dash Finisher panel is different too. The Yank one has a small cut-out for the VIN plate in the dash.