L20 with E30 head?

Legendary5

Well-Known Forum User
Got myself some parts for bargain yesterday. Including an engine stamped L20 with an E30 head?? I have to investigate this further…:eek:

Oooh :)

Is this the 4 pot, in which case can I see a twin cam conversion coming? I don't have my magic Datsun engine book to hand.

The count has a four pot 2ltr tucked away in a garage somewhere mid build, looked interesting.

:confused: You mean with "pot" the valves or cylinders? It has a ‘normal’ 6 cylinder and it has no room for 4 valve even the twin cam…….. That would be awesome!!!!!
Earlier Z’s did have the L20 but then I speak actually about the Japanese ones. There not suppose to be here in Europe?? Have to speak to the old owner where this came from.

my fairlady Z 1974 has a 2ltr straight 6 engine,drove very nice last time i used it.

There was a 280Z 2+2 for sale (which was stripped of parts including the engine - now near Dieppe) that had an L20E - lots of piston wall thickness so I guess it could be highly prepared - wonder what noise a 2.0 ltre 6 makes ?

'E30' head would denote a relatively early L20A ( approx 1968~1972 period ) which came in both high and low compression versions, and in single and twin carb guise. They were fitted to a number of domestic and export Nissan models, such as the Skyline, Cedric and Gloria.

The 'A' suffix to the engine type ( added in late 1968 ) was to clarify the difference between it and the four cylinder 2-litre L-gata ( the 'L20B' ).

'E30' heads have small combustion chambers that make a good base for modification, although their relatively small valves and ports need to be enlarged ( plenty of meat to work with though ).

Russ said:
........The count has a four pot 2ltr tucked away in a garage somewhere mid build, looked interesting.

Four pot? :confused:

Back