L Series with RB head !!

I haven't seen that before :D was wondering if it could be done as an alternative to the OS Giken heads.

Would be really interesting to see how it's done and as you say how much power it produces vs standard

there was an unfinished picture of the one in the skyline a while back on speedhunters, good to see they got it to work,

From what I have previously seen, Its a fairly complex mod (not for the faint hearted) and requires significant surgery at the front end (spash oil chain system vs dry belt)
The oil and waterways need a lot of work, new 4 valve pistons required, for some reason I thought the bore pitch was different as well.

It would be very interesting to find out more as there seems to be a couple of cars with this now

It would also be interesting to debate the hybrid nature of this, is it a hybrid or as the block is still an L series is it still an L series at heart ??????????

As for power no reason why a well built high compression setup shouldnt produce well over 300 hp,
4 valves per cylinder, a crossflow design and loads of cams give you a massive advantage in getting the mixture in and the gases out over a 2 valve single cam non crossflow system..............just the fact that the inlet is on the cool side and not being baked by the exhuast is worth a big chunk.

However it's too much hassle - why not fit the complete RB engine but with carbs?
It is a lot of hassle but carbing an RB engine isnt straight forward either, a good deal of porting work would be needed on the FI head to flow enough to make it worthwhile plus it would be either 2.5 or 2.6 litres and is that really enough displacement, then you get into stroking an RB (oooo err missus) and that can cost a heap of money.

From what I have previously seen, Its a fairly complex mod (not for the faint hearted) and requires significant surgery at the front end (spash oil chain system vs dry belt)

The oil and waterways need a lot of work, new 4 valve pistons required, for some reason I thought the bore pitch was different as well.

It would be very interesting to find out more as there seems to be a couple of cars with this now

It would also be interesting to debate the hybrid nature of this, is it a hybrid or as the block is still an L series is it still an L series at heart ??????????

As for power no reason why a well built high compression setup shouldnt produce well over 300 hp,

4 valves per cylinder, a crossflow design and loads of cams give you a massive advantage in getting the mixture in and the gases out over a 2 valve single cam non crossflow system..............just the fact that the inlet is on the cool side and not being baked by the exhuast is worth a big chunk.

:bow: always in awe of the knowledge and experience of our members!! I too thought it would be a good alternative to the O/S head but it seems no free lunch from what Skidell wrote!!

I was astounded at the non cross flow design when I first saw it, what were they thinking of sticking carbs full of fuel over the hot manifold!? Anyone know what the rationale would have been?

Ali K

There was a nice speed hunters article that had a carbed RB26, I think it was an RB26... RB something anyway. lol

I've always fancied a carbed RB25DE. I had a R33GTS non turbo for several years and absolutely loved it. It wasn't super fast but plenty quick enough to go in a daily driver Z. You can push them to nearly 250hp with a bit of work.

Back