Iron Cross Alloys original treatment.

fae821w

Club Member
I have original iron cross alloys on my 280zx, the two rear ones need some attention they are dull compared to the front.

What was the original treatment they received, I know they were never lacquered when I bought the car in 1981 and they are still unlacquered.I wish to keep them original but would like to bring them up to as new condition.

Anyone know what treatments they received, they could not of been only anodised as corrosion would have destroyed them by now.

Any suggestions on how best to improve them, I don,t think metal polish will work after trying different types.

Andy.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I would have thought that they should have a clearcoat on them after being diamond cut or polished from new.autosol should polish up your wheels but without seeing them its hard to say what the best process is.

Huw

Club Member
Hi Andy

The wheels would have been originally painted either silver or gold (depending on the colour of the car) in between the raised polished edges of the 'spoke' of the cross. The wheel rim and raised edges of the spoke were diamond cut and clear coated. There is a pdf download on www.xenons130.com in the reference section, the S130 technical service bulletins that describes the repair process for the wheel coatings.

I had mine stripped and powder coated with the rims and raised edges polished. They have been left uncoated. Corrosion will get under a clear coat over time and there is nothing you can do but strip it off again. At least with them uncoated a good polish will protect them and make them nice a shiny again.

Huw

fae821w

Club Member
Thanks for the help chaps, I shall have a go at polishing them with a mop.Won,t lacquer them, as you say traps moisture and starts corrosion, I bought another spare recently which is lacquered and corroded.Will probably play with this one first by stripping and polishing.

Andy.