interior trim

240zchevyv8

Well-Known Forum User
Hello my 240z has a complete blue interrior, problem is i dont like the blue very much and would much :(rather have it all black like my last 240z:thumbs:, does any one know of a way to either paint,dye the blue interrior so that it goes black without it looking a bodge:unsure:, obviously the vinyl will be different to the plastic trim and roof lining, the seats are not to big a problem i could put black seat covers over them hiding the blue but the door cards vinyl trim etc will be more difficult to alter, or is it a case of strip it all out sell it and buy either new or good second hand parts :driving:

Hello my 240z has a complete blue interrior, problem is i dont like the blue very much and would much :(rather have it all black like my last 240z:thumbs:, does any one know of a way to either paint,dye the blue interrior so that it goes black without it looking a bodge:unsure:, obviously the vinyl will be different to the plastic trim and roof lining, the seats are not to big a problem i could put black seat covers over them hiding the blue but the door cards vinyl trim etc will be more difficult to alter, or is it a case of strip it all out sell it and buy either new or good second hand parts :driving:

The blue interior is quite rare I believe
The only ones I remember seeing was one over here and one in the States a few years ago and people over there drooled over the rarity of it

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't Pmac's import have a blue interior?

It still has........although its Mike Carts car now;)
The other one that Burnsie is referring to is a well known member of The ultimate Z Club in Japan who had his car shipped over to Las Vegas for the Z2K show in 2000. Both Burnsie and me were there.

The interior trim - that is, all the hard plastic & the vinyl including the Dashboard, etc., is easy and cheap to change colour to the UK-spec Black, and you can even do it yourself in a day or less.

Buy a couple of Aerosols of the special trim paint which used to be called Vinylkote, but which now is more commonly known as Plasticote ( or something similar ), from a Company called Frost Restoration In Lancashire. Google them for the website, Should cost less than £20 plus postage.

Remove all the trim from the car & clean with Panelwipe ( NOT Thinners ! ), to remove all muck & grease. Mask any bits of chrome such as the door card trims, then spray a light coat of the paIthen

sorry - finger fade on the Keyboard !

As I was saying, spray a light coat & after it dries, do the same again with a little more depth, & allow to dry overnight. When dry, lightly buff with a clean dry cloth, and you will find that the trim looks as good as new.

Cheap and remarkably effective. Also works on the standard black trim when the sun has bleached it over the years.
Especially good on Dashboards, but remember to mask up the dials beforehand !

Considering how rare the blue trim is, have you considered selling your blue trim to someone who is desperate for a concourse car and you can easily get black trim to replace?

Thank you for all the advice and yes Mr. G it would be a shame to destroy something rare, i think i will go down the route of selling the trim and obtaining black either new or used regards to all and merry christmas

I have got some black trim parts that maybe of use for you if you decide to go down that route.

Back