Insuring while restoring?

Black Bug

Well-Known Forum User
Alright, restoring is a bit strong of a word for storing on axle stands but anyway!! ;)

The insurance is due in a couple of weeks and AON have comeback with £180. Thing is the car is minus gearbox and rear suspension and on SORN, so isn't going to go anywhere anytime soon. Do insurers generally recognise that being off road isn't much of a risk and reduce the rate or is it an all or nothing thing?

Cheers,
Rob

I gave up trying to understand insurance companies a long while ago. However look at it from their side. They want £180 pa off you: how much do you want off them should anything nasty happen to your baby, on or off the road.
On the other hand talk to them and shop around, I don't pay as much as you and some may pay more. Remember you don't earn a ncd on classic insurance and think if you need to insure it in its present state. Will the insurance cough up what you expect or are happy with should a nasty happen?

They should reduce the premium for 'storage only' as there is no risk of a road accident to your vehicle and no need for third party coverage either. I think the last time I did this was for a premium of around £60 which included for fire damage. Hope this helps.

Cool, thanks chaps. £60 is more palatable for them not having to really worry about anything! I shall see what they have to say on the matter.

Cheers,
Rob

Hi,
Most classic insurers will do an "Off the road" policy.I used one for my 300ZX when it was stored over the winter a year or so ago.It was well less than £100 for a year's cover!
Cheerz,
JEZ

Yes you can get cover like that for a classic I think some call it 'Laid-up' cover. I want this type of cover for a non-classic (95 Golf VR6) but can't get it, can anyone help?

Hunt around I reckon. After all, if there's no risk of an RTA they can't really charge you a premium for it!

Hi,
I think the cost was about £57 and it was through AON!...It covered taking the car to be repaired or mot'd too.
Cheerz,
JEZ

I think Firebond do a laid up cover option too - they were pretty good, I was insuring a rusting wreck just to keep my second full no claims going while I had my company car, and Firebond quoted me a decent deal on that, but also advised me that I wouldn't lose the NCD for a couple of years anyway - so in effect talked me out of buying the policy...

Mike

Ah bum, AON do do a laid up policy but won't cover me because the car isn't garaged. I've plumped with Livingstone for £100, ah well, it's better than nowt I guess!

Cheers,
Rob

Back