Info on these?

AL.H

Well-Known Forum User
Are they troublesome? Quick? Im thinking of buying one and making a bit of a bosozuko cruiser out of it because a car that old is 45 Euro to tax and NCT exempt (our MOT)

They can be got cheap too by the looks of things, what should I look out for? I know rust would be the main thing, do they share suspension with Z31s or 240'S?

Any info would be great

Front end suspension is like the S30, but does not share components (apart from wheel bearings.
Rear suspension is trailing arm like the Z31, but with coil-over shocks. Again no shared components, but some parts will be in common with saloon cars of the era.
Engine, gearbox, differential all interchangeable with S30. Standard fuel injection system is a limitation on tuning.
'81-'83 series have better manual gearbox and rack and pinion steering - but, only 2+2 and targa for U.K. cars.
'79-'81 series let down by the recirculating ball steering box and poor ratios in the manual box, but all later components are interchangeable. Two seater coupe only available in U.K. from early series, but continued in other markets.
Auto box throughout is the same as used in the foreign market S30 and is pretty reliable, but dull and three speed, no overdrive.

As you say - look out for rust, rust and more rust. More difficult to repair in some areas than S30 and parts availability not as good (although I have large stocks I'm about to dispose of if you want to come and browse fo rbargains...

You can have MOT exempt cars over there? That's brilliant :D

yep, once they pass a certain age ha

Front end suspension is like the S30, but does not share components (apart from wheel bearings.
Rear suspension is trailing arm like the Z31, but with coil-over shocks. Again no shared components, but some parts will be in common with saloon cars of the era.
Engine, gearbox, differential all interchangeable with S30. Standard fuel injection system is a limitation on tuning.
'81-'83 series have better manual gearbox and rack and pinion steering - but, only 2+2 and targa for U.K. cars.
'79-'81 series let down by the recirculating ball steering box and poor ratios in the manual box, but all later components are interchangeable. Two seater coupe only available in U.K. from early series, but continued in other markets.
Auto box throughout is the same as used in the foreign market S30 and is pretty reliable, but dull and three speed, no overdrive.

As you say - look out for rust, rust and more rust. More difficult to repair in some areas than S30 and parts availability not as good (although I have large stocks I'm about to dispose of if you want to come and browse fo rbargains...

Coilovers as standard? Lol Are they quick? Would it make a good retro drift car like? Have you got suspension bits and body panels mike? Splitters/Spoilers Etc?

No - they are not quick! All S30 tuning modifications can be applied in whatever format suits you and your pocket, so 250+ bhp achievable normally aspirated and more with turbo.
I have seen a two seater used as a drift car...
Plenty of simple handling upgrades available, urethane bushes, shocks, springs, anti-roll bars etc.
Mechanical bits generally no problem - either from stock or simple orders.
Good rear wheel arch space for big wheels and tyres.
I have moulds to make a range of fibreglass body add-ons - see MJP Eastern Auto

V8 conversions and other hybrid swaps have been done...

No - they are not quick! All S30 tuning modifications can be applied in whatever format suits you and your pocket, so 250+ bhp achievable normally aspirated and more with turbo.
I have seen a two seater used as a drift car...
Plenty of simple handling upgrades available, urethane bushes, shocks, springs, anti-roll bars etc.
Mechanical bits generally no problem - either from stock or simple orders.
Good rear wheel arch space for big wheels and tyres.
I have moulds to make a range of fibreglass body add-ons - see MJP Eastern Auto

V8 conversions and other hybrid swaps have been done...

Oh there is a turbo model? Hmmmmm

U.K. turbos were done by Janspeed for Nissan - a relatively crude old fashioned set-up designed to work on the standard engine without compromising warranty.
Nissan themselves did a factory turbo on the second series two seater, but we never got them in the U.K.
In Japan there is a Fairlady Z 2.0 turbo version and USA and Europe got the 2.8 turbo, but two seater only. These crop up from time to time in the U.K. and could form the basis of a useful engine swap, although many were auto. The factory turbo manual used a T5 type box similar to the Z31 early turbo cars, but this is not a straightforward swap into a U.K. 280ZX.

I've never come across a factory 2+2 turbo...but, yes, in theory, from Europe. Do you know how many and have you encountered one? None in the U.K. as far as I know.

Colins' book pages 60 + 61. In the US in 1982, the 2+2 turbo version was offered.............backed up by Brian Longs' book page 195 (with yellow ZX on front cover).and more details pages 170 + 171.

I've met 5, all 2+2s - there's one in Martins' workshop now.

I've never seen a 2+2 turbo in the flesh. Any more of this and I'll visiting Albrecht for a portion of his hairy tempura...:eek:

You'd have had to have left Brentwood...........I know you window watch the traffic going by but you'll be grey before....oops !

Oh, I'm getting bored of them - a 2+2 turbo, a two seater (soon to be turbo), a 2 seater auto and a 2 seater supercharged...........

Back