How many miles do you do a year in your Z?

madda

Well-Known Forum User
It was MOT day today, once again, no advisories only lots of interest from passers by. :)

I feel like I use mine quite a lot, but over the past 3 years I have averaged 745 miles between MOTs.

I suppose that given it is only out of its cocoon April until October each year it's not too bad, but it does feel like more.

I was doing around 6k a year in the blue car but the last 2 years I probably did under 4k.

Averaged around 7,000 miles each year in mine over the past five years. But will probably drop to nearer 4,000 now I have bought the Rover.

Fair point! So get it MOT'd, register it . . . and then get out more! Otherwise what's the point in having it?

All true - but I like to look at it and tinker, then look at it again, then tinker. half the fun for me is owning the thing sometimes and learning about it. I can take or leave the driving!

I've got two bass guitars sat in my office. I don't (can't) play them much - I just like looking at them!

But I am going to get it done ... somewhere between the 1001 jobs round the estate that need doing ... !

All true - but I like to look at it and tinker, then look at it again, then tinker. half the fun for me is owning the thing sometimes and learning about it. I can take or leave the driving!

I've got two bass guitars sat in my office. I don't (can't) play them much - I just like looking at them!

But I am going to get it done ... somewhere between the 1001 jobs round the estate that need doing ... !

This highlights that racking up the miles is only one part of ownership for some. Rob - you like to drive the car, go on Sunday drives, veritable expeditions around the country etc. That's the essence of ownership for you. You don't modify, or engage in much maintenance yourself. Others like to tinker, often quite significantly so, and get as much pleasure from that as driving.

With a young family and competing time demands, I don't get to drive mine as much as I'd like. Typically about 1000-1200 miles a year. However, I spend a lot of time reading and learning about Zs and engaging in Z-related projects, both to develop my present car and towards future projects. I have my S14a gearbox swap close to happening now, a suspension set ready for refurbishment and conversion to adjustable coilovers, and a 3.1 stroker build to eventually start. Plus, other plans for a couple of heads. And a latent plan for building another project Z to house that stroker. That mechanical, hands-on, garage-based aspect is just as important source of enjoyment these days - if slow going!

I'll echo that Rich. I'm doing the lights at the moment for the MOT, replacing the fronts, sidelight change etc, and wiring uo the new JDM rears I bought (and mortgaged myself for!) It's taking me forever, but not because I'm farting about, it's just that I find another small thing that needs attention, or I can delve more into ... and so I leave the lights and work on that - it's called the joys of ownership!

I am not surprised in the least, when someone finishes a restoration that they then sell the car - they have nothing to do with it, except drive it - and any fool can do that!

The thing hasn't turned a wheel under its own power for about a month. I've had it 14 months and apart from two visits to the MOT place (why two? don't ask) - that is as far as it's been ...

When it is done though, I envisage doing about 2000 miles a year probably. The thing with NOT doing a complete rebuild (been there) - is that there is ALWAYS something to do to it, and always will be ...

Yes - each to their own. I am currently sitting in a pub in Castlleton having driven for a glorious hour from my home in near perfect weather conditions, no music on (just listening to the car). I am now nursing a nice cask ale (just the one you know) and looking out of the window at my gleaming machine (see pic) with the prospect of driving it an hour back home. This to me is the joy of ownership. I'm in heaven.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
Last edited by a moderator:
Can't understand people who don't like driving their Z's, I literally can't drive mine enough, I love driving it and its still one of the most fun cars I've driven. I've driven an Aston Martin racecar on slicks and I still prefer my RB-Z.

I also love working on it, but because I love driving it it drives me to do any work as quick as possible because I can't stand it being off the road.

Can't understand people who don't like driving their Z's, I literally can't drive mine enough, I love driving it and its still one of the most fun cars I've driven. I've driven an Aston Martin racecar on slicks and I still prefer my RB-Z.

I also love working on it, but because I love driving it it drives me to do any work as quick as possible because I can't stand it being off the road.
A man after my own heart

It's not that I don't (or won't) like driving it - I've not had the chance yet!

But I'll get there ... maybe once I experience them more I'll put more miles on it than I thought.

The old Mustang I had did 200 miles one year, and it became stressful owning it believe it or no so I sold it. Best thing I could have done to be honest.

Can't understand people who don't like driving their Z's.

As fastback said, it's not about not liking driving a Z. In my case, I love driving it. However, with a 2.5 year-old and a 5 year-old, I just don't have the time. I'd use it more if we had more major events to go to though (other than Japfest, Donington, and Oulton Park) but that's another topic...

I did once chat to one guy at a show though who had an excellent 240Z (I saw the pics on his phone) but who hardly ever drove it. He didn't want to get it wet - ever - and he preferred simply owning it and looking at it to driving it. :confused: :smash:

I love driving my car, but the practicalities of regular use when its not garaged at the house, mean it only really gets out for planned trips.
Using it on a whim to pop out and see a friend or nip to the shops..... well, it just doesnt happen unfortunately :(
I think last year i covered approx 300 miles! this year roughly the same so far, may add another 100 to that if I'm lucky :rofl:

Well we are all busy. But in my book you don't need an 'event' as a reason to get in your Z. Popping out to see a mate is just exactly what I do in mine. And as for the wet - in this country, if you waited for perfect dry days you would never drive it! As I have said before - you are a long time dead. You can't drive it then! But some people enjoy keeping their cars in garages under dust sheets, simply KNOWING they own one. Fair enough. If that is what gives you pleasure then it is not for me to criticise. It is simply not what I choose to do.

ive done a grand total of 82 miles in mine since i bought it last year.
seems every time i take it out something has gone wrong or isnt quite right so the last 6 months its been apart and together quite a few times to get it right.

Back