Homologation - 240Z G2 GTS21

BlueZmobile

Active Forum User
Does anyone know or have a clue as to how many homologated 240Z's are in the UK with current FIA HTP, specifically Period G2 FIA Class GTS21? Or any other period and class?

I can only think of one possible car - Domenic Fratteroli's, as he was competing in the European Historic Rally Championship up until last year. Don't think that the late Tony Fall required the HTP for his car, and Albrect might be able to tell us if Kevin Bristow's car has one.
DaveJ might know of any Racers with the HTP Passport ( which in itself is an expensive item to acquire ).

Are you thinking of building a 240Z for an FIA event, by any chance ?

Hi chaps.

Does anyone know or have a clue as to how many homologated 240Z's are in the UK with current FIA HTP, specifically Period G2 FIA Class GTS21? Or any other period and class?

Why please ?

Or any other period and class?

Big vague question.....help and advice is available from all sorts of places but....can you be more specific in your need please ?

HTP Passport ( which in itself is an expensive item to acquire ).
€600 here or €300 for the FFSA (MSA equivalent).

Over here it's getting strict - three cars applied this year - 1x was accepted.;) (thanks my Count).

Yes, the G2 period is from 1/1/1970 to 21/12.1971, although the car can be older just has to comply with the homologation for that period

I had heard of Fratteroli's historic rally car, but they usually run with 2.8 engines to be competitive and that would place them in H1 or H2 period

I actually have a 240Z with HTP, and was wondering as to how many were actually out there in the UK. As we all know 240Z/260Z are pretty rare beasts with only 200 or so registered in the UK, they are the best kept secret in the historic motor world and need to bust out in a big way

Well said there, but of course, you are "preaching to the converted", as it were !

Still very intrigued, though, do you mind telling us a bit more about your 240Z - what spec., who built it, etc, what type of events you are going to be doing/have done, etc. ?

The team at Fourways Engineering built it, completely stripped down to bare metal and basically a brand new car. Kept it right on the button with regard to homologation requirements for GTS 21, no tricks, wanted to pass FIA inspection first time which it did. It looks pretty much standard apart from tow bars, cut offs, roll bar and race seats etc, 2.4L. Road legal etc etc. Here is the engine bay when it was in build (if I have managed to download it correctly), I will post some photo's when I have some decent shots. Not sure what to do with it now, was going to get it out on the race track perhaps run it in the HSCC, but it just looks to perfect. I have to say that I have been a very lucky boy owning some wonderful cars but none have such an affinity with me as 240Z's. 240Z was the first car I ever bought and after some 20 years away I'm back. http://zclub.net/forum/images/attach/jpg.gif

Attachments

• IMG_0156.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 66
Is this ex-Geoffs' road car ?

Seems a shame to take such a clean car to the track AND remove the triples for the HSCC.

My understanding of the G2 period is that the car can be younger too - it just has to comply with the homologation for that period. Ie, you can take a '73 Z and comply to '70/'71 specs. Ad ?

No, Geoff still has his rally prepped Z, very nice too, that will have correct paperwork very soon as well. I already race the blue Fourways modsports car and have a 1956 Ford Zephyr Zodiac that will race next season so I'm getting my race fix, so this one will most probably remain clean. My daughter wants to have a bash at some track time so maybe I'll allow her to have a play. That is also my understanding, G2 allows for a younger car, as you say it just has to comply with the regulations. That's why there are so many Porsche RS and RSR replica's with HTP's. Interestingly we believe we could make a homologated 240Z/260Z in H2 period that would compete favourably with Big Sam in its present configuration.

Interestingly we believe we could make a homologated 240Z/260Z in H2 period that would compete favourably with Big Sam in its present configuration.
....interestingly ?

A strange comparison no (?) as Big Sam is surely not homologated for current historic racing ?:confused:

Is this ex-Geoffs' road car ?

Seems a shame to take such a clean car to the track AND remove the triples for the HSCC.

My understanding of the G2 period is that the car can be younger too - it just has to comply with the homologation for that period. Ie, you can take a '73 Z and comply to '70/'71 specs. Ad ?

Sean , a younger 71/73 car can be used , you still use the same body spec,s , yuo have to respect the homologation in witchs period you want to build , a later 260/280 is not possible , there are to much changes in the bodyshell , ( radiatorframe, rear shock turrets , floors ,)

Big Sam could apply and I would suspect gain approval for a 2 seat sports under Group 7 classification because it is a car that raced in period. So no, it would not be able to compete with lower groups under homologation rules but would definitely have a good chance of obtaining an HTP. Though the comparison was made to show that a homologated 240Z could be as quick as Big Sam.

Though the comparison was made to show that a homologated 240Z could be as quick as Big Sam.

I see - as even HSCC cars are running with +220ch after non-stop evolution and Nicks' brief for Big Sam was to keep him as-was...is it not a tadge 'unfair' to compare...unless you're using him as a laymans' benchmark ?:eek:

Is so then....:

The comparison was made to show that a homologated 240Z could be as quick as Big Sam........was. Is that right ?:thumbs:

Are the HSCC 'Z's really producing 220bhp, Sean ?
Your Mate ( who builds the most competitive Engines in the Series ) recently told me that they were around 195bhp at the best, clearly limited by having to run the standard twin Carb setup.

Looking forward to seeing some more pics of BlueZmobile's 240Z, as the Engine Bay pic was a little compromised.

Events it could run in with the Triple Carbs fitted - perhaps the one-off type such as the Retro Race Rally Stage at Stoneleigh, Tour Britannia, Cholmondley Pageant, etc.
Would be good to see it out there being used in anger, if that is the correct expression.

Maybe 'my' mate isn't telling you the whole story Duncan :eek:.....:

here, one of his heads and cams using standard carbs on a correctly rebuilt std L24 block but without using any trick bits - NOT at all race spec. as can be confirmed by the 'low' rev limit.

Attachments

• Essai banc datsun 240Z Arnaud 28 11 2012.pdf
    165.3 KB · Views: 30
  • cap003.jpg
    cap003.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 37
  • cap004.jpg
    cap004.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 34
How accurate was the ^^ dyno ? I have had the same spec engine dyno'ed at 3 different places and YES, all came back with different results....

How accurate was the ^^ dyno ? I have had the same spec engine dyno'ed at 3 different places and YES, all came back with different results....

Agreed....BUT the engine is far from HSCC spec !

Dyno purported to be pessimistic - this was the lowest figure from an average of three runs.

Back