Hilux brake mods yet again!

john-h

Well-Known Forum User
I know this subject has been around endless times but I could do with some help please.
I'm working on fitting peugeot 505 gti vented discs and Hilux vented disc callipers to my 260z and gathering parts.
Can anyone tell me if the hilux calipers will fit inside 14" rims or will I need wheel spacers?
Also are green stuff pads available for the Hilux assembly because I haven't tracked them down?

John

We use Hilux calipers on the front of our rally 240Z.

They fit OK inside most of the 14"wheels OK although I am pretty sure you may need some spacers and longer studs. I think we had to get some 15mm spacers, but I will check next time the wheels are off.

We use Mintex pads, as per the Group N Subarus (MDB1416) so plenty of good materials are available. They fit with a bit of filing on the inboard pad to clear the caliper mounting lugs.

We use M1155 on gravel rallies and F4R for tarmac. 1155 would be fine for most use, I am sure. We had a bad experience of Green Stuff when using spaced atandard calipers on the vented discs on our first tarmac event a few years ago.

Hugh

Thanks Hugh,
Am I right that the wheel studs from the rear of a 260z are longer and can be used with spacers?

John

I think it depends a bit on the wheels (and brakes) that you are using.

I don't think that you need spacers on the back for most wheels with the standard brakes.

Hugh

Sorry, what I meant was that the studs from the rear can be used on the front because I thought they were longer.

John

Yes the rears are longer but not by much, about 5mm at a guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use vented 300zx Z31 turbo 4 stud discs on my 240 and made up some spacers these are a bolt on mod and S12-W calipers which run scooby track day pads more than enough braking power.
I use a 3mm spacer with my AME split rims and had to remove the fins on the caliper outer edge to get clearence.
Works great..

Just an update on the hilux/pug brake upgrade.

I've bought a pair of hilux calipers which are used but in very good condition and I have stripped, cleaned and painted them. I have fitted one to the left side and as expected it is fouling on the wheel. (The car has its stock 14" wheels on). It is catching on the face of the wheel not the diameter so I just need to establish how thick a wheel spacer I need to get the clearance.
I also had to trim about an inch off the brake dirt shield to fit the bigger caliper.
So far I'm delighted. Just need to bore out the discs and off I go.:D

To find the thickness of spacer required just try adding washers between hub and wheel until it clears with a bit to spare.

To be honest I don't use the dirt shields anymore, it helps cooling.

Thanks for the advice.
I'm going to pack the wheel out tonight and work out the thickness of the spacers. I don't think they will need to be very thick on first impressions.
I'll look at removing the back plate as well.
I'll continue to post updates of progress.

From fitting washers behind the wheel 5.5mm just allows the standard wheel to pass the caliper. I don't want to grind the cooling fins off the caliper so I'm going to put 6mm wheel spacers on the car. I think the rear axle wheel studs will be needed to make sure everything is secure.
Rob the picture of the longer stud looks like it is new. Where did you get it?
I have a spares 260z and I could get them from that but it may be more trouble than buying new.
The existing steel pipework from the hose fits straight away and I have removed the disc back plate as advised.

Folks, what do mean by standard wheels? I've got wolfies on mine and am looking to beef up my braking as well!

Cheers,

Tony

When trying to obtain longer studs....be warned, the spline diameter of the 240/260 is differant to other Nissans. Merlin motorsport got me a set that they were convinced would fit, only for me to have to send them back, the spline diameter was a nats cock to large at 14.3 mm. Eventually I ended up with the expensive "Nismo" option, costly (you won't get much change out of £100 for a set of 16) but as good as ARP and fit 1st time.

Tony, my wheels are the stock iron cross wheels 14" but the problem isn't the diameter but the offset. A 6 or 7mm wheel spacer will put it right. I suspect studs from the rear will make things safer.

I can source the parts for the hilux/pug modification for you and carry out the machining. PM me if you are interested.

P.S. I'm the guy you bought the clock from recently.

John, To answer your question, I bought a set of studs from my local Nissan dealer but I didn't use them in the end.

Rob, are they for sale?

I have a spares car which I can get them from but it depends if you want to sel them if it is worth the effort of getting the off.

You could have them for £10 plus postage (£3-4?) I will never need them (famous last words).

I was using this length of stud with 5mm spacers no problem. If you are going to 7mm (is there such a thing?) then you need to make sure you have enough thread. I suggest you count the difference in the number of turns with/without your packing washers. Then compare with my picture on this thread.

I think it will be marginal!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob,
I'll have the studs please. I think I'd get away with 6mm but I've tracked down a pair of universal fit 7mm thick spacers.
PM me with your details and I'll send a cheque.

John

Back