Help Rear lights 240z uk spec

ttd322

Forum User
Hi I have imported a Californian 240z this apparently will not pass the mot because it has
A red rear indicators and
B yellow side marker lights
Is this correct?:smash:
Do you know where I can get a uk spec set of 1972 240z rear lights ?
Regards
Tim:

You can get euro spec back lights on eBay or you could try your luck and fit the indicators into the reverse section of the back light and fit a reverse light under the back bumper .

Last edited by a moderator:
You've said 'apparently' won't pass, best to have word with the MOT tester you will use as to what they require. Having said that,
1. Amber lamps (LED's) behind the red indicator lenses should be OK
2. Convert the front yellow markers to indicators (just splice into indicator circuit).
3. You will also have to separate the rear brake light/indicator wiring which is combined on US spec.

My U.S import 70 had passed its test every year until one mot tester picked up the red rear lenses. I had to replace them but never mentioned side markers and are still as yours.

Ive seen them on ebay too but :

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic02m18/33-1168A

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic02m18/33-1168B

Worth noting - all these repro units get described as 'Euro' rear lights (American perspective as usual), but they aren't. Have a look at the wiring looms. See the small fifth bulb fitting centre bottom? These are JDM units with the additional parking light bulb. Surplus to UK car requirements, but useful to JDM obsessives/owners like me!

I MOT'd my US spec 240z the other day and it was fairly simple.

I just made a new loom for the rear light clusters (much easier than it sounds) which put orange bulbs in the white reverse light section. You don't need a reverse light for an MOT. I then rewired so that I had working brake and tail lights rather than the US config where the indicator works by blinking the brake light.

I then swapped the front marker lights to be indicators by simply disconnecting the indicator wire from the front turn signal/side light connector and connecting it to the marker instead.

I actually bought clear sidelight covers but I'm pretty sure you could just remove the orange cover (they light needs to be white). You'd have an exposed bulb but it only needs to be like that for the duration of the MOT.

You can see more info on how I converted mine here..

Ultimately I will be looking for some UK rear lights in time but for now it allowed me to get through the MOT test relatively easily.

As above, you don't need a reverse. You could put dual lamps in so that they're reverse and indicators. This would need leds though. I think the US lights look nice on the 240's.

As above, you don't need a reverse. You could put dual lamps in so that they're reverse and indicators. This would need leds though. I think the US lights look nice on the 240's.

When you say dual LED lamps which act as reverse and indicators, are these dual colour as well? White for reverse and orange for indicators?

You could do what I did, disconnect the wiring from the side marker lights so they don't operate anymore, and put yellow transparentish tape over the indicator lights (you can get off eBay) if you want to quickly pass the MOT and sort it out later :)

Back