Headlights

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Anyone tell me if Z and 280ZX headlights are the same, ie size, interchangeability etc ?
I get 7 inches when I measure mine ;)

Originally posted by SeanDezart
Anyone tell me if Z and 280ZX headlights are the same, ie size, interchangeability etc ?
I get 7 inches when I measure mine ;)

Sean, Sean, Sean are you sure you want people to know that little secret :D

Hi Sean,
Yes the headlamps are the same. You can also use Lucas, Hella, etc designed for Mini, MG´s, etc. I reckone the best are the Hella when used with PIAA super expensive but wonderful Extra White bulbs (55 quid a pair).
Regards

Symon
P.S. How many set would you like to buy ???

Symon

do you need to upgrade the headlight wiring for those super white jobs?

Andrew

Hi Abas,
Not really. The bulbs draw 55 / 60 watts but give 110 / 130 W equivalent light. Don´t know how they do it but I´m sure they are right. I´ve bought 2 sets & the improvement over standard bulbs is really noticeable. Even so I did fit 2 relays & joined them together with a diode so that low beam stays on when I use high beam, so much more light. I pickup a set of new Hella headlamps here in Barcelona for about 40 quid the pair. The combination really is the dog´s whatsits.
In Abril I was coming back from Toledo, south of Madrid, on a Sunday evening & unusually it was throwing it down ( similiar to a Bristish summer´s day :D ) I did the trip of 715 kms in 5 hours & 5 minutes, with one quick coffee stop & one fuel stop. So the light´s must work well !!!
Regards

Symon

Symon, three sets please (lhd of course) and a diagram of how to fit the relays (supply them also if you're a sport) !
Address below and tell me how I can pay (Paypal alright ?) !

I've been unlucky so far with your UK windscreen contact - Steve's on holiday until Monday ! So, still looking for a 280 ZX windscreen but I'm sure he'll help !

Just imagine how much quicker you coulda gone in the R32 !

Hi Sean,
Do you really want the headlamps ? I´m sure that you can source them in France for the same price or maybe even cheaper. Just tell you local motor factors that they are for a pre 87 Mini. The bulbs I bought from Demon Tweeks in Wrexham.
I´ll throw together a wiring diagram & post it here.

Yes I know that Steve has been on holiday for a week. Something to do with kids & ex wife ! He´s back on Monday. Steve can also source you the headlamps at reasonable money ! Maybe not the Hella but certainly the Wipac or Lucas. The Lucas H4 come a close second to the Hella but need a some mod to make them really work well !

I could have gome a lot quicker in the 260Z but the Spanish Police start getting stoppy if they catch you at more than 180 kph ! So I was just trying to keep my bank account undamaged. I´m always amazed at how easily my Z eats up the kilometres, foot lightly resting on the throttle at 170 - 180 kph & returning 10l/100 kms ( about 27 mpg for those metrically challenged ). I´ve only ever driven a R32 GTR on the track so I´m not sure what they are like as a road car, the car will turn up here on Friday next if all goes well so I´ll spend all weekend on an extended test drive. I´ll let you know about my experiences.
Regards

Symon

Yes, Symon, I do want the lights 'cos here you cannot imagine the trouble to find parts for a pre '87 mini ! Pre '87, hee, hee, hee and a non-French car, hee, hee, hee !

Steve might help but I want the Hellas that I trust and I need them for lhd cars !

In fact have you thought of offering parts to the French ? Perhaps there is a market for you ? If you want to discuss this off forum, email me !

I can't wait to hear about the R32 on the road. I've never heard from anyone of their experiences with one off the track and all one reads about are the heavily tuned ones at 600 bhp+ !

Hi Sean,
I´ll have a phone around on Monday / Tuesday for the Hellas. Just confirm to me if they should have sidelamps included in the headlamps or not.
I agree that all you read about is mega Skylines, suppose that they are fairly tame until you ask them to start to break out of a canter !
Guess who´s is coming to visit on Friday 3rd of September. Paolo from Saluzzo in Italy. He´s coming over for a long weekend with his ball & chain. I´ll mail you photos of our weekend.
Regards

Symon

280ZX are without sidelight in bowl, 240Z / 260Z are with sidelight in bowl. All are standard 7" units.

I have 2 minis.

Lights for a pre '87 mini are same as post '87 mini.

Only difference is earlier have sealed beam units and later have separate bulbs.

they both mount up the same and theres no difference really in shape or mounting

both wiring is adaptable between the two.

On my '94 mini's separate bulb units I just unclip the block on the back of the bulb and attach it to the separate sidelight.

Hi Chiefbrody,
What you sat about Uk Minis is correct, but export Minis into France had a Cibie headlamp that was similar in size but used a different headlamp bucket & trim rings to suit. So now you now why advised Sean about the pre 87 lamps !
Regards

Symon

Hi Grolls,
It wasn´t my intention have having a go at a newby :D
I sell parts for bloody Minis all day long & am bored of such details to customers. The most important thing is that the Cibie headlamps, bucket & trim are no longer available so I have to sell the poor b*****ds, sorry customers, new headlamps, buckets & trim rings. :p

Don't knoiw where you get that from grolls ! Symon is pointing out the difference between UK and other market parts (happens on Zs too !) and explaining why he used that as an example to me (here in France !).

Coooool !

Symon, just noticed that your perfect garage is missing a 2 litre roadster - can you explain this oversight or are ragtops no longer fashionable down there ?

It is not an oversite , just a logistical problem ! I ´ve got a 4 car garage & my "future ex wife" insists on parking in my bl**dy garage. So no more space until I get rid of the misses.

Even so rather that a 2000 roadster I´ve been thinking on the lines of making an A550X replica ! Though that really is a long term project as I´ve got a fair bit to get on with right now !

sorry but looked from my end a tad blunt; its easy to interpret things the wrong way me thinks, i know im guilty of it!:D

Back