Headlight covers - good idea?

gturner008

Well-Known Forum User
Really like the look of the clear glass headlight covers. No idea if the factory ever fitted them...? Would my 71 car look out of place with them? Were they reserved for special models? Are the available?

There you go, told you I'd ask dumb questions...

Available as an aftermarket item (may have some spare on imminent shipment from USA).

+ve - IMO they look great and emulate an original option fitment.
-ve - clear slightly scatter light output from headlights and tint will significantly cut down light output making night driving a less pleasant experience.

Really like the look of the clear glass headlight covers. No idea if the factory ever fitted them...? Would my 71 car look out of place with them? Were they reserved for special models? Are the available?

Generally speaking, there are two types of headlamp covers for the early cars. There's Factory, and then there's everything else....

Let's get 'everything else' out of the way first;There are several different designs of clear and tinted plastic covers which mount flush with the headlamp case 'sugar scoop' edges, and are usually retained by L-shaped brackets either screwed or stuck to the body. They perform a function, but they're not really all that satisfactory and I think these days the general concensus is that they lower the tone a little. They look like the afterthoughts and in reality that is exactly what they are...

The 'Factory' type headlamp covers on the other hand were part of the original design of the car. Seen in the prototype stages and integral to the styling of the car, they were supplied as OEM equipment (delete optional) on the premium Japanese market models. They were not supplied on Export market cars because they contravened construction and use laws in several markets. They have attractive shaped metal trims around the plexiglass lense, and these form part of the retaining/mounting system. The design was modified several times during the years of production, so you have to watch out for differences in mounting screw positions (best to have a properly matching pair) and slight variations in plexiglass shape (early ones tended to crack at stress risers).

Genuine Factory covers are sought-after and expensive. £500+ is quite common these days, and this alone may put you off. There have been several re-pops and replica versions made over the years, and even these can be a little pricey and hard to find. The plexiglass/acrylic bit is easy enough to make, but the shaped 'U' channel metal trim is notoriously difficult to replicate (even the factory struggled with the complex shape) so supply of replicas is a little fitful to say the least.

Personally I think they finish the car off perfectly.

Attachments

• 432 at Tokyo Auto Show 69-2.jpg
    432 at Tokyo Auto Show 69-2.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 62
Albrecht, great write up, thank you!

I read a lot about them reducing the light output - is that true of the factory ones you show in your pic? To me it looks crystal!!

I read a lot about them reducing the light output - is that true of the factory ones you show in your pic? To me it looks crystal!!

I think it's more a case of them disturbing the pattern of the light beams. Headlamp covers can't change light output.

Personally I've not had that much of a problem with them. If you're driving on what you can see in the headlamp beams you'd probably benefit from a nice array of spotlamps for a proper bit of illumination:

Attachments

• 4-71-Echap-985-1.JPG
    4-71-Echap-985-1.JPG
    290.4 KB · Views: 39
I like the look of headlamp covers so I will be fitting some to mine.not them expensive factory ones though

I like them, really like them, but really really put off about drilling into the car to mount them!

>< otherwise would not think twice about fitting them.

Personally I think they finish the car off perfectly.

Personally, I feel that they look like a pair of twinkly earrings - nice accessory on a fair lady but not essentiel given the gorgeous lines and curves already.......and just a wee bit too 'I wannabe an E-Type' for my liking. On a road car I don't accept their functionality !

But ozone layers above the aftermarket, flush mounted ones and the smoked variety are still in the primeval swamp. imho of course.

Back