Gear Lever Sizzle

malcolmpaul

Well-Known Forum User
Has anyone any idea what causes gear lever "sizzle" on a 240Z? Only does it in 5th and sounds like bacon frying, no detriment really as the gearbox is perfect otherwise, just annoying. Have tried different gear lever knobs and also replaced the 3 nylon bushes at the base of the lever but with no improvement.

Hmm Thats interesting - I noticed a similar noise on my 260z gearbox the other day. Sounded a bit dodgy to me - only did it in 5th, thought it best to stick to 4th as much as possible until I can get round to stripping it down but perhaps it isnt such a problem after all.....

Oooh... ditto. Worst in 5th (so I'm not using that gear until I put a new box into the car) and quite bad in 3rd. Haven't noticed it in 1st (too busy being deafened by the 'zorst).

Believed it was related to the lever bushes and had them replaced just before going to Le Mans this year. Noise almost disappeared but was back as bad as ever a couple of hundred miles later, so I suspect 5th gear itself.

Will report after new box goes in!

Probably worse in 5th gear because 5th is not direct drive on the mainshaft therefore relies on the integrity of the mainshaft bearings which if they are 30+ years old maybe a little bit slack. Changing the gearstick bushes to brass or aluminium may help as will a change of gearbox oil. Would'nt say it's anything to worry about apart from the annoyance. You could always strip the interior trim out then you'd never hear it:D
Incidentally the late 280zx boxes have a different arrangement for the gearstick attachment with a springloaded slided arrangement which may have been designed to eliminate "sizzle".

Last edited by a moderator:
Mines really loud in 5th though, so I've stopped using that gear pending the gearbox swap. I might try the ally bushing idea and oil swap in the meantime though :)

Glad to hear it doesn't mean it's about to go bang!

Back