Fuel Pumps

I use a Facet but at the front (it works fine). Best benefit is starting after a few weeks, you can get the fuel in the carbs without flattening the battery.

Anyway I get a lot of rubbish from the tank which I collect in a filter before the pump. I think there is a filter in the pump but I can't get the pump apart for fear of damaging it! Mine has a bayonet end cap fitting which I cannot 'budge'.

So my point is fit a filter before the pump. If you mount it at the back the filter will be awkward to see and work on.

What are the experiences of other users of Facet pumps, how do you get at the filter?

Front

Rob
I've got a pump on mine & its at the front,no problems ever.
Mines a Japanese made pump & has a twist screw base at the bottom,
& I also have a filter before the pump. I've not driven my z for a year!
but it starts up everytime,occasional charge keeps it going.:thumbs:
DJZ 60.:cool:

Been using a red top Facet in conjunction with a Sytec injection pump for nearly 3 years....the Facet has only just let me down by going a lazy and pumping what amounts to a dribble.

Dont be tempted by the Facet "solid state" pumps...yes thier cheaper but their weedy and "pulse" badly in comparison

Rob, the Facet filter is a basket type and access is via the big nut shaped pressing at the bottom.

I have a Facet pump from a 280ZX, there’s not much to it.
The plunger is going up and down by the elec. motor behind the rubber seal inwards.

Attachments

• 16102007.jpg
    16102007.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 16102007(002).jpg
    16102007(002).jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 17
Got no idea :unsure: didn't know there was one :conf2:
Funny thing is, I've got two of those and both don't have a filter :confused:
I supose I can order them at Facet??

Legendary5 said:
I have a Facet pump from a 280ZX, there’s not much to it.
The plunger is going up and down by the elec. motor behind the rubber seal inwards.
In fact it isn’t a Facel but Jidosha Kiki Co.Ltd one… wonder how much pressure it will give. It was meant for 2.8 engines so… What do you think?

pump it up!

That,I think. . . . is the one I have. Pretty good for an old & lasting pump!
DJZ 60.:cool:

Legendary5 said:
In fact it isn’t a Facel but Jidosha Kiki Co.Ltd one… wonder how much pressure it will give. It was meant for 2.8 engines so… What do you think?

Don't think it came off a 280zx injected. Nowhere near enough pressure. It would have to have come off a carbed engine.

Jidosha Kiki fuel pump

I bought my 240Z new in '73, and it was recalled shortly thereafter due to a vapor lock problem. Datsun's solution was to insulate the fuel line and also put the fuel under more pressure by installing a Jidosha Kiki fuel pump near the gas tank, in tandem with the mechanical pump that remained in the engine compartment. After 34 years and 130,000 miles, the Jidosha Kiki fuel pump quit working. I removed it and have been operating with the mechanical pump alone, but I'm getting vapor locking again. For my dual carbs, which Facet pump model would be the best replacement in tandem with the mechanical pump?

For my dual carbs, which Facet pump model would be the best replacement in tandem with the mechanical pump?
Go for the STC505 (fast road) this will give you plenty of spare capacity (not sure on availablity or model numbers in the US)
The Red top and the Blue top pumps (RTW506 and BTP001) are both competition pumps for high fuel volume applications and are unlikley to be needed unless your twin carb setup is a mad scary screamer.

To be honest, if you were'nt to fussy about being technically correct, you can ditch the mechanical pump and just use the facet pump at the rear, its more than capable, just get a blanking plate.

I did look into Holley pumps but couldnt find one of low enough delivery to suit...they all seem to be for big hairy V8's that need around 100 gallons per hour

Hope that helps:thumbs:

Very interested to read rickpow73z 's thread regarding vapour lock as I think this could be the answer to my problems. What symptoms did you get? I intend to fit an additional pump as according to the Haynes manual all 260's had one as standard in conjunction with the mechanical pump. Which fuel lines were insulated, just the ones under the bonnet?

Think you'll find the electric pump was fitted to the US 260's because of all the emissions gubbins. Anyway you have a UK 240, right? One pump should be ample.

I bought my '73 240Z new in the United States. For the '73 Z, they had added some emissions controls and changed the type of carborator, which led to vapor locking, mainly in hot summer conditions. When it vapor locks, it sputters and feels like you're running on only half the cylinders -- no power, hard to get it to idle at all, and hard to start. Under warranty, Datsun insulated the fuel lines under the bonnet (we call it the "hood" here in the States) and added the electronic fuel pump, mounting it near the tank. When the 260Z was introduced in '74, it sounds like the electronic fuel pump was standard; I don't know whether they used it in tandem with the mechanical pump.

rickpow73z said:
I bought my '73 240Z new in the United States. For the '73 Z, they had added some emissions controls and changed the type of carborator, which led to vapor locking, mainly in hot summer conditions. When it vapor locks, it sputters and feels like you're running on only half the cylinders -- no power, hard to get it to idle at all, and hard to start. Under warranty, Datsun insulated the fuel lines under the bonnet (we call it the "hood" here in the States) and added the electronic fuel pump, mounting it near the tank. When the 260Z was introduced in '74, it sounds like the electronic fuel pump was standard; I don't know whether they used it in tandem with the mechanical pump.

Thanks for the reply, sounds just like the symptons I experience in hot weather. i've bought a Facet silver top to use in conjunction with the existing mechanical pump, which is what they did with the 260Z.

I never had any problems with the 260s I've owned & they only had a mechanical pump fitted except on a few hot days starting up with an hot engine it took a few seconds turning over.

Back