Fuel Pumps?

Zed2k

Well-Known Forum User
Hi all I was wondering why most people run Facet works red top pumps rated at 7psi when Webers only need 3 -3.5 psi, and is there an advantage with this pump over say, a Facet solid state comp pump rated at 7psi you can also get these at 4.5 -6 psi which would also run triples ok?
Also when fitting the electronic pump, do you guys do away with the fuel rail and just run fuel lines through a filter King and then to the carbs?
Any thought's?:confused:

Flow rate is more important than pressure when choosing a pump. The higher pressure is usually regulated down to about 3.5psi. The solid state competition pump is rated at 25 gallons/hr; the interrupter competition pump is rated at 35 gallons/hr. The former would be O.K. for engines rated at up to 200bhp, but for anything over 200bhp the interrupter is preferred.

The "Fast Road" solid state Facet (4 - 4.5psi) is rated at 18 gallons/hr which would be just about adequate for a stock 240Z engine, i.e. up to 150bhp.

I don't like to think about how many galons/litres perhour, not with the prices rises we've just seen ! Thanks Mike, good to know but what about seriously 200bhp+ engines ?

Sean,
I intend to use a red top Facet pump for my seriously 200+hp motor. As far as I am aware this should be up to the job, but now is the time to make sure before I buy one.
I intend (Zed2k) to keep the fuel rail with Filter King for my Dellortos. I want to keep the fuel return from the carbs, there is a reason why, but I can't remember what it is.

Cheers
Ian

Once into the upper reaches of horsepower, you should be aware of other potentially limiting factors with your fuel system. Flow could be compromised by size of lines, damage to the underfloor fuel supply line, the flow capacity of the filter, tank pick-up etc.
Be aware that the FilterKing comes in 67mm and 85mm diameters, with alternative 6mm, 8mm, 10mm and -6 JIC tails. There are standard, competition and V8/Hi-Flo varieties with accordingly higher flow rates. A high horsepower Z engine should be using the V8/Hi-Flo IMO.
Other filter alternatives are provided by FSE in the form of Motorsport "Bullet" filters which have potential flow rates up to 300litres/hr and can be ordered with fuel tail sizes up to 15mm ID or -8 JIC fittings! Enough??

this is what worked for me. I ran a red top facet pump through 8mm fuel line to a filter king regulator then onto the triple 48 webers, again through 8mm fuel line. there was no return to the tank. The pressure was regulated by the filter king. This setup supplied enough fuel at a sensible pressure to run the 3.1ltr 300+hp engine. Hope this is of use. cheers ben

Worked For Me Too

Plastic pre.pump filter > Facet Red Top > V8/Hi-Flo Filter King > carbs, all fed through 8mm fuel line with no return to tank

Tim

I removed the rigid fuel return pipe from the car during the rebuild and when I had the 2" SU's on just blanked off the return pipe on the original fuel rail, the current Dellorto's have no provision for a return take off on the unions at the carbs however one could be fitted if required

Tim

Back