Fuel lines - again!!!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Please help, I’m going cross eyed!

We are only E5 (5% ethanol content) in the UK but the continent is on 10 and 15% which may soon head this way and is ferociously corrosive for classic car fuel lines.

Speaking with Advance Fluid Solutions today, they tell me that the SAE30 R7 and R9 they list for Petrol and Diesel are not fuel safe for cars that stand a long time like over winter. The ethanol is acidic and hygroscopic and separates. Being heavier than fuel it sits at the bottom of the tank with this lethal combo and eats the tank or hoses from the inside out. They recommend their bio safe fuel lines at 5 times the cost per metre. Even if I swallow the cost, they don’t have all the right sizes available.

So I’m rapidly heading back towards R6/7.

Everything I read tells me that the R is for max rated operating pressure and fundamentally the SAE30 bit says its fuel safe.

So the question is, what are you fine Z owners using on your or would recommend? I really rather do this job once in 20 years !

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Yes. Merlin said flat out they don’t sell ethanol safe fuel hoses as one of their jag club customers pointed out that what they sell isn’t truly ethanol proof.

Deamon I did look at but can’t remember why I decided against now. Oh yeah I think they were phenomenally expensive!

toopy

Club Member
Buy decent, not necessarily the expensive stuff as above, and always use a fuel stabiliser that is suitable for use with ethanol.

Ive always used a stabiliser/fuel treatment and have never had issues with dodgy hose, and the car has always been stored over winter for 5 - 6 months!