foaming at the mouth..

Zed-the-red

Well-Known Forum User
No.. not like a rabid dog or a mad cow.. {that's the wife}..
I would like to know why people do things.. maybe in there own sweet way they are doing what they think to be right, Without thinking and without planning for the future or using a scrap of common sense..

Lets take the guy who must have had my Z before I bought it from ebay. Why in your right mind would you take a tin of that builders expanding foam and systematically fill the sills full of it? Not only the sills but other voids in the shell as well.

I cannot weld near the stuff as it will catch fire. I certainly do not want to breath the stuff in if it catches fire.

I once had a big debate over doing the same think to a landrover chasiss. The Foam is not absorbant. But if moisture does get in {and it has} then it cannot get out.. except that is by rusting its way out. Now if you had slapped Dinitrol in there you would not have needed the foam would you..?

I need a very small person or a trained hamster that can use a scraper to enter my box sections and scrape this muck out.. If you have one please let me know..

Ok moan over.. any suggestions on how to get the stuff out?:unsure:

Still need spares.. PM me with anything you have I have a few bob left over that I am willing to part with..

What a pain in the backside. Other than cutting it open and breaking it up to get it out I have no idea how you would go about removing it. I guess if you had the whole car dipped it may disolve?

You where WARNED about the pitfalls with old uk Z's :eek: I think my mate may still have his other import available at the moment, cut your loses buy that, use your ebay car for the rhd conversion it will work out far cheaper & a lot less stressful in the long run + you will end up with a far better car. Believe me I have owned in excess of 20 Z's 3 of which have been imports, I would not touch a uk car again unless it was properly & fully restored. Working on imports is like working on a new car the bolts just undo easily (don't snap) & there is no rot. Sorry if I sound abit harsh but am speaking from 22 years of experience if you choose the import route you will thank me as soon as you have bought one :thumbs:. Its the only way to go, you are very welcome to come & see my car & will show you what I mean.

Import

You where WARNED about the pitfalls with old uk Z's :eek: I think my mate may still have his other import available at the moment, cut your loses buy that, use your ebay car for the rhd conversion it will work out far cheaper & a lot less stressful in the long run + you will end up with a far better car. Believe me I have owned in excess of 20 Z's 3 of which have been imports, I would not touch a uk car again unless it was properly & fully restored. Working on imports is like working on a new car the bolts just undo easily (don't snap) & there is no rot. Sorry if I sound abit harsh but am speaking from 22 years of experience if you choose the import route you will thank me as soon as you have bought one :thumbs:. Its the only way to go, you are very welcome to come & see my car & will show you what I mean.

how much dos he want for it?

£4500
its a 71 so will be eligible for Historic vehicle status.
It has a modified 280 engine. 5 speed box and stainless steel headers.
The arches are flared and although the purists will faint it has all been done nicely. With the right wheels it will look pretty mean.suspension etc in brilliant condition
Oh..... I forgot to mention...no rust.:bow:

And much as I hate to rub it in... I even offered to do a pre=sale assessment for anyone interested.
Trust me as an expert I would have found all these problems in a 30minute inspection . But you chose to buy it unseen on the basis of a supposedly "frank" talk with the seller(your words)

You need to see it to believe it. Its £4,500 bargain honest. Pm me for more details if interested, look at thread rust free 240's available for some pics, its fitted with a JG racing blue printed 2.8 engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re the builders foam. You can get a solvent that dissolves it although this would be more than a bit messy:)

Screwfix used to sell it -called foam eater IIRC

I also seem to remember that we used Cellulose thinners to clean off excess foam-might be worth a try but for gawds sake don't smoke while trying it !

Why ? I think the answer is simple - when one taps the sills they sound solid and no flaky bits drop off and when one passes a magnet over the metal - it sticks ! I've a mate over here who found several kgs of cement in his chassis rails - they appeared solid which evidently was the aim of the previous owners' exercise........'cept cement is wet and acidic and that doesn't go down too well with metal........!

My first (UK) Z rotted from the inside out, was restored and rotted again so I bought a US import from Pmac.

Iwent to see both of these recent US import cars, took loads of photos (pm me your email address if you want) and can vouch for what samuri-240 says.
I think that the red one that was bought recently was the better deal for someone wanting a standard-ish Z but the silver one is clean and if exploited in a track-day car way (even if that is just look and she never goes through the paddock) you won't regret her.

I'd DEFINITELY say stop with this UK car, use her as a donor, buy an import and you'll have a Z on the road sooner and cheaper and still keep your sanity, love of this car and your wife !

Ah.. A spark of sanity. Well I considered the aspects of taking on the American car. I have slept upon it and I have made my descison.
MY Intention from the begining WAS to restore a UK car. I Never take the Easy route out of a problem. I have the skills and the patience to bring a GENUINE UK car back to the road.

Think of me what you will.. if all you are interested in is a Z then the import route is the one I would not hesitate to go down. I would be like a rat up a drainpipe... BUT.
I am more interested in the following call me a romantic.. whatever but.

This car was brought over from Japan in 1973 at no small cost. It took to the roads and has been a UK citizen {car wise} for 30 plus years. It has taken on the rigours of our salty roads and wet climate and it has stood for the most part the test of time and the elements.
It has has many previous owners some will have cherished it. I wonder if the first owner is still alive?
I wonder if the last owner is still alive {wont be if I see him first}..
Its about provenance and heritage. Its about soul. a survivor and that is what she is.. and I am the surgeon that is going to piece her back together and place her slinky little reworked ass back on the street.... She will never be concours. But shes an older lady.. she is growning on me!

If I could not do the restoration work myself then sure the Imported Z would look good to me. But I like a challenge....

We're all Z nuts here - you've no more passion for these cars than anyone here and whilst I admire greatly your tenacity, I repeat that sometimes you have to walk away. The idea to take on a US car and convert isn't an easy option - there'll be plenty to do, buy and ask advice upon but it will result in a better finished product and you DO seem to car about THAT so think again please......

The risk, however well you do the job is that you're working with metal horribly exposed and weakened compared to a US shell that aside from faded paintwork is as it left the factory 40 years ago - it's like having a heritage shell but a genuine one made in the original factory !

Please don't get lost in this project, listen to words of wisdom - I've had a Z for 20 years now too !

The risk, however well you do the job is that you're working with metal horribly exposed and weakened compared to a US shell that aside from faded paintwork is as it left the factory 40 years ago - it's like having a heritage shell but a genuine one made in the original factory !

It still infuriates me that people right off UK cars so easy. When importing a US car there is absolutely no guarantee that the car spent all its life in Arizona or some other hot part of America. There are numerous accounts across the classic world where people have imported cars from the US and they have been complete Dogs!!.

After having removed my dash and pretty much everything else, converting these cars from LH to RH drive is a major piece of work which would involve considerable major surgery on the Bulkhead not to be undertaken by the faint hearted.

I personally would rather spend my time and money on a genuine UK car than a fake LH conversion.

Mike B

If you want to end up with a really nice, original, unmolested shell then you need to import a car like Moggy240 has and leave it LHD.

If you get satisfaction from returning a rotten UK car back into a roadworthy car and saving it from the scrap yard repair yours. I've done it - I wouldn't do it again but I did get satisfaction from it.

My car is not 'tidy' but it's used for track work so I can live with that. Yours looks like you have better outer panels so it should tidy up nicely when you've done the structural work.

The problem you will have is deciding how much you are prepared to spend because 'proper' chassis components are not cheap. If you can make your own then ok I did, but bear in mind that the finished car will not be worth as much as one where the body was built by Nissan and not by Joe Bloggs in his garage.

It still infuriates me that people right off UK cars so easy. When importing a US car there is absolutely no guarantee that the car spent all its life in Arizona or some other hot part of America. There are numerous accounts across the classic world where people have imported cars from the US and they have been complete Dogs!!.

After having removed my dash and pretty much everything else, converting these cars from LH to RH drive is a major piece of work which would involve considerable major surgery on the Bulkhead not to be undertaken by the faint hearted.

I personally would rather spend my time and money on a genuine UK car than a fake LH conversion.

Mike B

Ruggish !

Like I said, using a US import is not easy - just the challenge that this man is looking for with NONE of the disappointment !

I agree that there are dogs to be imported (I got caught with one) but there are also some beautys ! Of course, most of them will need some tlc, the red one bought by a member here will need that also and any of these cars will need the rubber replacing, a thorough mechanical overall and the interior tided - ALL of which you'd do anyway including removing the dash which is standard in any proper restoration !

The only reason for hesitating to take a US car is if you're a keen purist for its' own sake or you're contemplating doing a concours, original car which isn't in the same budget as your everyday Z joe up on here.
Of course, if a particular car has a certain history, that might also make a difference but when is a wreck a wreck ? Most of our cars' book value doesn't justify spending even a new engine !

I find your comments obviously reflecting your personal view IF you were to do one but ultimately misleading.

Anyone throwing the time and money at a UK car restoration on a shell that is less than good condition has either a lot of it to spend or has been badly advised - what should concern is how that UK car will resist 2 or 3 years of use on the roads once the restoration has finished : I'm not casting doubt upon the quality of work but once cancer is in, it has a habit of staying and spreading...........

Oh. some comments. Some good some bad. We are all entitled to opinions. Mine is that its a UK car that is not too bad. Believe me I have restored worse, Much worse. The areas needing repair which I have already started are:
Bonnet hinge mounting.. done.
Front Offside end of chassis section approx 10 inches
Rear chassis section between engine mount and radiaus arm.. difficult to get at but do 'able
Area below Offside seat belt mount and rear inner wheel arch
Lower edge of offside sills..
A piece of two of the offside floor pan

The near side looks to be pretty intact with surface rusting to the outer surfaces of the shell I will know more when I get to that side.
Most of the rot appears to be confined to the offside. In all my years of restorations {30} I normally find that it is the offside of all UK classics that fair the worse. Thats why I have started there.

When the welding has been done. I usually flood the sections.. everywhere with Dinitrol which gets into the seams and delays further rot. repeated every two years.

It will take time and patience. The car is 85% good. It may not be all Nissan when its done. But you can say that about most lotus, Fords,Healeys,Jaguars,Rollers,Rovers, Mg's, Triumphs,etc etc etc.. That are of the era and have been restored. They are not original even if restored using a heritage shell.
The Z car is 85% of its original imported state. Thats reason enough to get her back on the road. I fabricate most of the panels required. I get back to good steel. Weld well and make sure that the seams are sealed and treated. The object is to stop water starting a reaction and keeping it preserved. That is what i am doing I hope I know that once done the Z will be around for another decade or two
before it will need any more radical restoration.

I wish i could post some pictures of the Midget I restored 20 years ago. I sold that car 5 years ago to a chap in Sheffield. its still doing its stuff. He calls round once in a while.. She looks great.
The pictures are on old photographs and not digital..

That car was a rolled rusted basket case. There was 50% of the car to reconstruct. But i did it. This Z is so much better..

Watch this space... I estimate about a year. Sooner if I can get time off.

Good for you - a decision taken AFTER reading various opinions and advice and not an emotive one : it's too easy to love these cars to bits......literally !

Mike B
Amen to that I'm in total agreement.

Oh. some comments. Some good some bad. We are all entitled to opinions. Mine is that its a UK car that is not too bad. Believe me I have restored worse, Much worse. The areas needing repair which I have already started are:
Bonnet hinge mounting.. done.
Front Offside end of chassis section approx 10 inches
Rear chassis section between engine mount and radiaus arm.. difficult to get at but do 'able
Area below Offside seat belt mount and rear inner wheel arch
Lower edge of offside sills..
A piece of two of the offside floor pan

The near side looks to be pretty intact with surface rusting to the outer surfaces of the shell I will know more when I get to that side.
Most of the rot appears to be confined to the offside. In all my years of restorations {30} I normally find that it is the offside of all UK classics that fair the worse. Thats why I have started there.

When the welding has been done. I usually flood the sections.. everywhere with Dinitrol which gets into the seams and delays further rot. repeated every two years.

It will take time and patience. The car is 85% good. It may not be all Nissan when its done. But you can say that about most lotus, Fords,Healeys,Jaguars,Rollers,Rovers, Mg's, Triumphs,etc etc etc.. That are of the era and have been restored. They are not original even if restored using a heritage shell.
The Z car is 85% of its original imported state. Thats reason enough to get her back on the road. I fabricate most of the panels required. I get back to good steel. Weld well and make sure that the seams are sealed and treated. The object is to stop water starting a reaction and keeping it preserved. That is what i am doing I hope I know that once done the Z will be around for another decade or two
before it will need any more radical restoration.

I wish i could post some pictures of the Midget I restored 20 years ago. I sold that car 5 years ago to a chap in Sheffield. its still doing its stuff. He calls round once in a while.. She looks great.
The pictures are on old photographs and not digital..

That car was a rolled rusted basket case. There was 50% of the car to reconstruct. But i did it. This Z is so much better..

Watch this space... I estimate about a year. Sooner if I can get time off.
Well done hun go for it I bet when you've finnished restoring it to it's forma glory they'll be loads of people patting you on the back and lots of woo she looks amazing:thumbs:

many thanks for the support.. I am welling up. really.
Cant wait till Sunday when i can get back in the garage and do a bit..

Back