First 280ZX in European Historic races ?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Hi all,

Got a call last night by someone in Nimes who's preparing a 2+2 for VHC racing (100 laps of Ledenon etc). Got me thinking, what should he be looking at to do and what do you think he can get away with :

TB and air filter
exhaust manifold and system
camshaft
later steering box ?
suspension (but what) ?
brakes ?
3.9 rear diff or other ?
wheels and tyres ?
others ?

Be nice to encourage the guy as it's only Zs that get all the competition press !

Now, I'm not knocking you all here but apart from Mr F. are there none of you interested in a competing 280ZX ? And nobody has an opinion on how to get the most out of them ?

Is this why we speak so much about Zs and not ZXs ?

SeanDezart said:
nobody has an opinion on how to get the most out of them ?

I'm sure I could think of plenty of ways to get more out of a 280ZX - but surely this will be dependent on rules ?

Sean: On the basis that you may be serious on this one, how long is the proverbial piece of string? The first two problems you have with the ZX for racing are weight and handling. So throw away all that trim, seats, sweet papers, chip wrappings and start afresh. Handling, who knows but I dare say it can be done at a price. Brakes, I think I'd be inclined to just put some hard pads in and go from there.Goes without saying use the best wheel/tyre combination the rules allow you.
The more I write this the less sense it makes. Is there some particular reason why it has to be a 280ZX?

...and if a 280ZX, why a 2+2???

I think we need more specific guidelines on the precise regs - e.g. if you can't change throttle body size (like HSCC can't change carb choke size), then this will have a knock-on effect with how far you can go with the rest. Does the original ECU have to be used? If not, then a world of opportunity opens up. If it does, would the particpant be prepared to build an aftermarket system inside the original box and adapt the original loom to run a better system ("cheat" in effect...)?
Too many variables to provide a complete answer, but if allowed, the throttle body, ported manifold and plenum, head work, mild cam, header manifold and decent exhaust, bigger injectors and better control will be the way forward to reasonable power.
Have a look at the Arizona Z Car site for suspension - they campaigned a 280ZX racer quite successfully which used relocated lower arms and rose joints to achieve a proper handling car. Conventional wisdom on shocks, springs and roll bars all apply...

Late spec rack & pinion steering would be preferable but do they allow 1980's equipment (if so, you could go turbo).
You'd more than likely get away with later flat top pistons with the earlier N42 head for good compression (assuming NA).
Weight I think is the biggest issue.

Sean there was a 280ZX two seater raced in UK some years back-95ish at a guess

IIRC he used carbs on a 280 Engine can't remember suspension spec Ran in 750MC events so not sure what was allowed.

As Mike says we need to know rules as if they are free enough you could run a full blown Electramotive clone in which case the US would be the place to ask questions.

260ZG said:
As Mike says we need to know rules as if they are free enough you could run a full blown Electramotive clone in which case the US would be the place to ask questions.

Even if the rules allowed it the fuel bill might rule that out as Devendorfs car did 4mpg even if you could afford the $175,000 that the car cost to build:eek:

I think (and I will verify) that the rules are somewhat similar to those of the HSCC and so that all obvious to the eye changes are forbidden except for the brake pads.

Why a 280ZX ? Because they are eligible, cheaper than a Z and this one happened to turn up just like that ! Not the ideal choice but the choice has been made !

Agreed, weight is the issue and a proper handlings et-up. I discussed with Mr F and I think that to begin with (as they have a limited budget and getting out there counts more than losing a year whilst saving up) a mild cam, head-work, better exhaust system and a subtle TB improvement (suggestions - 240SX ?) should get them going. For handling, I will look at the Arizona site and any other ideas would be welcome..."Conventional wisdom on shocks, springs and roll bars all apply..." - indeed !

Rob, no turbos but the idea of the better steering rack is a good one - prices anyone ?

SeanDezart said:
....... the rules are somewhat similar to those of the HSCC and so that all obvious to the eye changes are forbidden except for the brake pads.

So let's get this straight. These people are thinking about entering an S130 into a competitive event with strict rules, and they are asking you for advice? :conf2:

They might as well give up now.

You're getting petty Count ! Nobody's asking me for 'my' advice, I want to seek some help and hints here in order to help them 'cos I think it's a courageous thing to do !

If you've nothing to add to this discussion, please respect the thread and keep out - you can have a go at me by pms or email or ring me up :) !

Well I did think an Electramotive clone might be a bit OTT !

There were however 280ZXs running in SCCA showroom stock which could be a closer match on regs and so it might be useful to find out specs for these.

IIRC the rear suspension was one area that needed improvement but it was some time ago so I could be wrong (nothing new there then)

Don't think anyone has competed in a 280ZX 2 + 2 before unless someone else knows different
-scratch that as i have a vague recollection that one ran in saloon car racing as it was eligable because it had four seats, will have to have a quick look and see if I can find any details.

260ZG said:
Don't think anyone has competed in a 280ZX 2 + 2 before unless someone else knows different
-scratch that as i have a vague recollection that one ran in saloon car racing as it was eligable because it had four seats, will have to have a quick look and see if I can find any details.

And this is the point - even if it has happened, it was rare so I want to share what is known over here with those who're 'out on a Z limb' over here and they're gonna need all the help they can get !

I thought that this might be a good way to push the 280ZXs too, even if only on this forum :rolleyes: !

SeanDezart said:
You're getting petty Count ! Nobody's asking me for 'my' advice, I want to seek some help and hints here in order to help them 'cos I think it's a courageous thing to do !

But seriously Sean, if these people really want to be competitive, then their modifications would be well advised to be kept away from internet forums. I can't understand why you would think it was a good idea to bring their intentions into the harsh light of scrutiny when their identity will be so easy to pin down.

Surely the place to discuss this would be behind closed doors? Theoretical discussions are one thing, but you have all but named the people involved. Not a good plan in my book.

And by the way, there are other countries other than the USA that you could look to. These are Japanese cars..........

Count,

The French are very insular and not many, least of all scrutineers will look up here to see if we have discussed some unseen mods ! Let's get off the paranoia trip and be realistic - I believe that forums are for open discussion and I respect anyones' say (especially yours) - however, it is more beneficial to ask and get some good advice for inexpensive mods (for someone who's probably chosen the ZX 'cos it came along at the right price, was different and was eligible) than hush-hush it all and not give you the opportunity to bash me :) and share the discussion ans JOY that a 280ZX might race in anger in Europe (even if it isn't Blairs' image of Europe) !

Albrecht said:
And by the way, there are other countries other than the USA that you could look to. These are Japanese cars..........

I was waiting for you to say that:rolleyes: - of course you're right but do I read/speak Japanese ? I can honestly say, I don't know if 280ZXs were raced in Japan - ashamed ? Yes but they haven't publicised it over here in Europe either !

On page 8 of the latest club mag is a listing of S130 race cars of which you have contributed a Japanese enterted Portugeuse-rally car. Where are the pictures of Japanese racecars ?

SeanDezart said:
I thought that this might be a good way to push the 280ZXs too, !

Push is about right, you might want to consider having a meat vindaloo and using fart power if you're going to think about racing a 2+2. Leave the back seats for loving!

Is the UK 'too' Z orientated ?

All started off by some nasty press comments back in the late '70s ? Over her, it appears that the ZX didn't suffer the same treatment !

Last edited by a moderator:
Back